OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 379759.0
July 3, 2008 11:39 AM
Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

BronzeGoodIronBad

Over the past couple of weeks I've been in the process of teaching myself Delphi programming.

I've already done alot of the tutorial and source snippets applications, and a few small scratch coded apps, I felt it was time to do a larger app from scratch, unfortunatly I had a case of writers block and coulndn't figure out just what type of app I wanted to do, I wanted it to be something that I would actually use, and something that might be connected in some way or another to one or more of my various hobbies. Finally I decided to do a gear ratio and drivetrain calculator, I thought this might be helpfull for figuring out how to tweak performance for R/C vehicles, visualizing what's happening when you floor the gas pedal of your car, and maybe even in designing robots for determining which gears setup would be the best to use.

So, it was decided, a gear and drivetrain calculator it is..... a couple of days, 50+ cups of coffee, and some intense hours of writing and debugging 1500 lines of sloppy/repetetive/inefficient/unremarked code(yes I pride myself in being the sloppiest coder ever!!!) later, here we have it!

Gear and DriveTrain Calculator 

As you can see, this calculator will calculate the gear ratios between 3 gear boxes(with up to 4 Idler gears each), along with the input/output Rpms to and from each gear box, and can also calculate the road speed based on Motor Rpms, Final Drive ratio, and Wheel Circumference.....not bad for a high school dropout who needs to use a calculator to count to 10 eh????Foot in mouth

If anyone would like to try this program out, just shoot me a PM, since I dont have a server to upload the executable to, I'll have to send it via email, any input would be appreciated.

Also it would help me out tremendously if anyone has some suggestions on some cool or interesting programs you'd like to see.... if I like the idea and I'm able to do it, I'll send you the first copy!

Thanks!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

July 30, 2009 4:21 PM

Hi
I would like to know if your application or you can help me or point me in any sort of direction to get more help.
This is what I would like to do. Lets say I have a weight of approx 100-200kg which needs to be spun around at 1500 RPM. How do I design or work out how to build a gearbox to do this. I was hopeing to find some sort of calculator on the website where I would enter a few details i.e. what is the input speed and power of driving motor, what is the required output speed to turn a weight of x and then it would calculate how many gears and teeth required.

regards

Marc

August 28, 2009 9:15 PM

Electric drive train simulator has done me good while building combat bots.

January 10, 2013 8:45 PM

I would Like to try your program

Thanks

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window