Sega E.M.A. looks like Femisapien

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
altwolf
altwolf's picture
Sega E.M.A. looks like Femisapien

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/segas-e-m-a-robot-walks-like-a-lady-o...

Sega's EMA bot looks suspiciously like Femisapien. It looks like they almost copied Femisapien right down to the styling.

altwolf
altwolf's picture

Ah, weird. Apparently it IS femisapien but is being sold by Sega in Japan...

http://www.sakuradaily.com/2008/06/12/sega-toys-to-sell-kissing-robot-ema/

I wonder if it's because femisapien is so different than Wowwee's current lineup of bots (tribot, wrex, etc.)...

BronzeGoodIronBad
BronzeGoodIronBad's picture

I think Sega's just latching onto whatever it can trying to stay alive since they bailed out of the game console market after the Dreamcast.... kinda sad, I always thought thier machines were so much better and more innovative than nintendos.... but I will admit the robot controller and the powerglove for the old 8-bit NES did kinda kick butt for it's time!

Deep Thought
Deep Thought's picture

I like these colours more than the white red and black, which are on the pictures/videos I have seen before.

Will there be a chose of colours?

Its such a shame we have to wait for them to go on sale, hope it is not long.

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture

I wonder why Wow Wee isn't selling it under their own brand name in Japan...

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I seem to recall that for non Japanese companies, marketing products inside Japan can be challenging, though I could just be imagining that. In the past WowWee has always been willing to provide various retailers with exclusive customized versions of their products.

altwolf
altwolf's picture

ya, this is new though: I dont recall wowee ever allowing a different toy company to rebrand their bots as their own. This bot has a new name (E.M.A.) and has no referneces to Wowee. i think it's an interesting turn of events.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

It could be a result of WowWee being purchased by Optimal Group.

Currahee
Currahee's picture

is it modeled exactly like femisapien

Kadeiqus
Kadeiqus's picture

BronzeGoodIronBad said:
I think Sega's just latching onto whatever it can trying to stay alive since they bailed out of the game console market after the Dreamcast.... kinda sad

You might be surprised what all Sega has it's hands into. They did stop making Consoles a while back. However, Sega and Atari are two of the bigger behind the scenes contributors to a lot of todays Games. Most people seem to think both companys have disapeared because we don't have them thrown in our face on a daily basis like Sony and Microsoft. But, in reality, they have found a nice little nitch working in the background on many of todays top entertainment programs. Sega actaully has even created some of the Games for the new Wii!

roschler
roschler's picture
(nocturnal) "I seem to recall that for non Japanese companies, marketing products
inside Japan can be challenging, though I could just be imagining that.
In the past WowWee has always been willing to provide various retailers
with exclusive customized versions of their products."

Especially when the non-Japaneses companies accidentally choose product names which are cool in English, but mean something like "green death worm that eats your face while you sleep" in one of the Asian languages. :)

MrScott
MrScott's picture

A Yahoo News Video showed up today putting the spin on this as targetting "lonely men".
It's described as adult oriented.
Sheesh....

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8369018

altwolf
altwolf's picture

Wow...just wow.

That piece is trying SO hard to make Femisapien titillating. Must have been a slow news day.

Elvensynth
Elvensynth's picture

I heard that they will hit the shelves here in the USA in Sept. Sept 26th to be more precise. They are starting at $99US, they are being released in Sept in Japan as well, and are starting at $175US, there. they seem both the same as in functionality, Wow Wees ver (orig) can be controlled via a V1 controller. (samtheswanster@yahoo.com)