Tri-Bot Unboxing

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
davezatz
davezatz's picture
Tri-Bot Unboxing

I'm hanging at Capable's HQ (the folks behind Robo Community) and had a chance to preview some cool new 'bots. Here's some unboxing pics of the Tri-Bot, which is currently scheduled for a summer release. Check out the gallery up top.

robodud
robodud's picture

did you buy that and if are you planing to mod it?

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Where you able to try out a Bugbot? Those look cool!

milw
milw's picture

Nice, I like the orange color! I wonder if they'll have a range of available colors too?

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Arent those slated for release late summer too? Or is anything coming out earlier

davezatz
davezatz's picture

Scheduled for summer release is all I was told. I also played the the Wrex dog robot. Here's a little video I shot of the Tri-Bot - not the best quality and my finger covered the mic at times. Sorry! :)

dkaz
dkaz's picture

i love the way these wheels move around...it's pretty sick how he can move in any direction like that

voice talent, on the other hand, is not my favorite

NoroBiik
NoroBiik's picture

He's very quick - and the quality of construction is high. Loved the closeup of the wheels in the gallery.

re: voice talent I agree - can't wait for someone to hack him & give Tribot - Darth Vader's voice :)

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Of course, if you hack the TriBot to talk like Darth Vader, you'll have to switch out his head for a helmet and paint him black :)

In person, he's actually quite a bright red color; I think it just looks a little orange in the pictures, perhaps due to lighting.

I also have to say that the movement is quite quick, and the operation of the three-wheel base is impressive. There's some detailed conversation on how the wheels work here.

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

He is pretty cool, but after a bad day at the office his voice might get a little grating haha

roschler
roschler's picture

Nice photos!  I just posted a full written review of Tri-Bot along with a 5 minute YouTube video that goes over his features.  I really think WowWee has a winner here.  It's so easy to use yet it has a lot of cool features and its truly fun.  Video is below:

roschler
roschler's picture

Subscribing to thread.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Roshler, after reading your article, you almost changed my mind about the little guy! Oh, and when you say that a Wii verson of Robodance is coming out, do you mean wiimote compatibility, or a true Wii version?

Thanks.

roschler
roschler's picture

rybuger1,

I mean WiiMote compatibility, not true Wii.  I don't even own a Wii console, but I do have two of the remotes.  BTW, that version is already out.

milw
milw's picture

hm, I wonder how likely it is that he uses the same audio compression scheme as Robopanda, that Sevik's been working out. That'd make it easier to make TriVader...

NoroBiik
NoroBiik's picture

Just watched roschler's video. Some observations :

* Tribot looks capable of navigating rougher terrain, not just carpets.
* His homing capability looks like a variant of the original Roboraptor's "laser" dot tracking talent
* The "follow my path" game makes me wonder if the robot's path memory can be modified so you can set a patrol route in your home - and Tribot would know if he's deviating & compensate

Roschler how good are his IR sensors ?

roschler
roschler's picture

NoroBiik

Re: IR sensors

He appears to have sensors both in the front and rear.  In guard mode, he will respond to movement behind or in front of him.  However, it appears that the movement has to be fairly close for him to recognize it.  However, and this is important, the manual says that after he scans the room before entering guard mode, he will change his sensitivity range based on what the distance is to the nearest object in his "field of view" (in front of and behind him).  In a larger room he might be sensitive to movement at greater distances.  I look forward to testing that.  The manual says that if there are objects nearby in his long range scan, which is approximately 4 to 6 feet in radius (1.2 - 1.8 meters), he'll switch to a short range scan of about 12 inches (30 centimeters).  This coincides with what happens in the video when R2D2 intrudes on his space and nearly runs in to him before Tri-Bot detects the intrusion.

During free roam mode he gets pretty close to an obstacle before detecting it.  This could be a software/firmware threshold level setting of course, not a limitation of the sensor hardware, but I don't know.  He does detect signals from the remote control from a good distance.  What's great is that it doesn't seem to matter what direction he is facing in when receiving commands from the remote or finding the homing beacon.  As you know some robots get unresponsive when turning away from the remote control due to the placement of their IR receiver(s) but Tri-Bot does not have this problem.  I don't have an estimate on the maximum distance yet but I've been able to control from over 8 feet away without trouble.

--roschler 

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The two videos here don't appear to demonstrate any motions other than the rolling, and the popping open of the top of the head and ears.

Are there any other motions?  Do the arms move at all?  Does it bend forward or backward, or turn its head? 

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Roschler: Thanks for the info about Robodance, and dispite his annoying voice,I`m starting to like him alot.

NoroBiik: I was thinking a patrol mode would be possible too, but I was thinnking along the lines of PC control.

roschler
roschler's picture

NoroBiik

His voice is a lot less annoying in person.  One of the weirdest side effects of the video camera industry is that they make robots seem a lot more annoying since their microphones pick up midrange and treble frequencies real well but hardly any bass.  Hence, the servos on a robot and the sounds the average robot make sound boxy and nasal.  I had the same reaction you did when I saw the early Tri-Bot videos before getting him myself.  But in person, he just sounds like a friendly yet hyperactive kid.

MrScott

Except for his eyebrows moving up and down that's it for the motion department.  His arms are poseable but that doesn't count.

NoroBiik
NoroBiik's picture

roschler said:
NoroBiik
Re: IR sensors
He appears to have sensors both in the front and rear. In guard mode, he will respond to movement behind or in front of him. However, it appears that the movement has to be fairly close for him to recognize it. However, and this is important, the manual says that after he scans the room before entering guard mode, he will change his sensitivity range based on what the distance is to the nearest object in his "field of view" (in front of and behind him). In a larger room he might be sensitive to movement at greater distances. I look forward to testing that.

It looks like the Tribot has surpassed the Roboboa by having the best IR sensors around - the 360 deg. sensing range is huge. I had this notion once of positioning mirrors around the house to be able to control the Boa around corners - but the RB has blind angles. Fyi, my Boa also has a short IR range while moving & a longer one when stationary and in guard mode or in light lamp mode.

I'm thinking that, if it doesn't block the TB's rear sensors, strapping extra equipment to him won't be a problem.