I-cybie info and hacks

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
altwolf
altwolf's picture
I-cybie info and hacks

Just got an I-cybie off Ebay and have been looking for info on it. I thought I would share my links with you guys in case anyone else has an interest in I-cybie.

The i-cybie.com website frontpage no longer works, but you can get in through a backdoor. You can download manuals and things for I-cybie accessories there.

http://www.i-cybie.com/English/eaccessory/EaccEnter.html

Some instructions on modding the I-cybie:

http://www.hackinglab.org/icybie/index_icybie.html

This one was hard to find. Has some downloads.

http://www.communities.ninemsn.com.au/humpy/home.msnw

You can find programs to create your own I-cybie personalities here:

http://www.aibohack.com/icybie/index.html

Here is a guy in the UK who builds I-cybie battery packs and chargers. He has enhanced chargers that will not overcharge cybie's batteries.

http://stores.ebay.com/BALDYs-Bargain-Battery-Packs

milw
milw's picture

What are you planning to do with your new I-cybie, altwolf? Can you post some images?

mgrindel
mgrindel's picture

Hi All,
I recently acquired a charging station but no manual.
I've looked all over the net for a manual and the only one I can find had a corrupt 2nd page. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to scan their second page (I think it may be the 3rd and 4th looking at the layout) of there manual for me?
Much appreciation.
Mark

ElectronicsGenius
ElectronicsGenius's picture

i realize this is a little late but at least it is here if someone needs it:

gswallow
gswallow's picture

I have an original 12v Tiger i-Cybie for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiger-i-Cybie-Robot-Dog-ORGINAL-12V-Hackable-PCB-/25...

Yes, the model with a hackable module PCB intact. Come check it out or tell a friend.

gswallow
gswallow's picture

Rach
Rach's picture

Hi there am tryinf to purchase a charging station for my I-cybie and am having so much trouble finding one any ideas were I can get one please.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

http://www.3deshop.com/iCybie.html This site has them listed.
Freddy

Halriasa
Halriasa's picture

Hi folks,
Iam thrilled to see ppl posting again!!
i got a charger but not a charges cardridge, anyone have ideas where to find a sceme to build it .
or by one ..

greetings from the Netherlands

Captain Aeon

Zerover
Zerover's picture

The Sino American AC Adaptor that comes with the older Tiger/Silverlit I-Cybies is 15VDC, 300 mA, 60 hz, 9W charger. Although the Adaptor connector fits the 3 prong battery used by the robot, the battery is charged like most other batteries using only two prongs. Consequently pretty much any two prong wall wart that meet the power requirements will do. You'll just have to change the connectors to match. If you have to build a battery pack--and you'll probably will have to eventually, all you need to do is get 2 female 3 prong battery connectors and 1 matching male connector--you can google it on the web but some old computer towers will have a set of connectors you can use. One female connector will be for the charger, the other will be used for the robot. The male connector will be used for the battery (see battery wire diagram). All you have to do is make sure the 2 joining connectors are small enough to fit in the battery compartment (with the battery of course). In fact you can probably purchase better connectors than the ones offered with the standard I-Cybie. Now if you have the Walk Up Charger--things are different because it was made to link with the standard 3 prong connector--but then you can modify it too.

kimmee
kimmee's picture

I was wondering if someone can help me with a cybie problem. I just recently purchase one on Ebay new. It's not working. I charged the battery-pushed his head and his eyes would light red/green, he just laying on his belly with his legs out. His back legs seem to work but his front legs gave out. Is there a part inside him that might have broke? Can it be fixed? How? Can Anyone out there help me, Please!

Halriasa
Halriasa's picture

hi kimmee,
i bet one of these two options will help:
1 replace the whole batterypack, imagine the cybie was made around year 2000 incl the batterys.

2 on the back near its tail is a lill pinhole, to reset it. stick in a needle or tiny sharp thingy.

hope it works

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Kimmee, if the legs are loose and give out then you most likely have broken 9t plastic gears.This is the weak point in iCybie. The robot wont be able to do anything if it cant position its legs correctly as it has pots to check position and wont start if the legs dont move to the corect position on the self test it does whe you turn it on. I replaced the plastic 9t gears with metal 9t gears I found on ebay.

these may be a good fit,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-Metal-9T-3M-1-0MM-Motor-Pinion-/2906...
the ones I got had the hole a bit to big for the shaft, so I soldered them to the shaft havent had a problem since.

Freddy

kimmee
kimmee's picture

Thank you Halriasa for your feedback. The battery is good believe it or not so I know it's not problem.

Thank you Freddy and I believe you've nailed it for me. Is this an easy fix or should I find someone familiar to replace them? Please advise.

kimmee
kimmee's picture

Freddy, These 9t gears I need to get...do I need one per leg?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Kimmee, you could do it yourself like I did just keep track of how everything and how it is put together. I would make a video and pictures of how the legs attach, it's a tight fit. You will need one gear for each leg and I would check the good legs for the exact placement of the gears on the shaft. And like I said, the ones I bouht were a bit big fit so I added solder to the shaftand solderd the ends so it would hold tight.

kimmee
kimmee's picture

Thanks FreddyA, I will go ahead and purchase the metal 9T from ebay and give it a go. Great idea taking a video/pictures, didn't think of that, Makes me feel more confident my son/husband can do it,lol Thanks so much!

josheppaul
josheppaul's picture

I have seen in link that there are some pictures and information about robot. I can not understand that what you want to say from that links? Can you like to tell me my question's answer?

EileenP
EileenP's picture

I recently purchased and iCybie for my daughter. It has not worked since we got it. I ordered a new battery pack and still I get the red & green eyes when it turns on AND the legs lay out behind it. I read where you needed to replace some gears that were plastic...could that be the problem? If so, is there somewhere in NYC that I can take it to get repaired??? My daughter has been so excited since we got it and heartbroken since it hasn't worked.

Thanks,
Eileen

Zerover
Zerover's picture

Sorry about your daughter--it must have been a big let down. I-Cybies are complex little toys and are difficult to diagnose. Because they are discontinued there are few who know how to tackle problems that occur. Almost everyone that owns them and uses them will have to become an expert in diagnosis and repair to keep them going. But if you are handy with a soldering gun you can handle quite a few issues that occur yourself. F

irst--if the legs are loose--that is, they rotate freely without the click of a clutch, then you can suspect a broken gear (this does not include head left/right rotation however--it should rotate freely unclutched). Since your robot can assume a splayed position we can almost certainly rule out a broken gear.

What exactly does the robot do when you plug in the battery and close the battery compartment door? The red/green flashing eyes signify a protection fault--usually caused by an appendage that cannot reach a designated position. H

ow long does it take for the eyes to flash after the door is closed? Are there any sounds--no matter how slight, coming from the robot before it assumes the splayed position?

Is the robot posture symetrical when the fault appears? Sometimes I-Cybie will try to move before a fault occurs. A good eye can isolate which limb triggers a protection fault by its position--it may not be symetrical with the complimentary limb in the final splay posture.

Again, since the robot drops to the splayed position we can almost rule out the shoulder and hip rotators triggering the fault. What is left is the head/neck assembly, the outer shoulder joints and the lower limbs--the tail never triggers a fault.

Cutting to the chase--in my experience it is probably a lower limb wire that is broken that is causing the fault--but if you answer the questions you can further define the problem and maybe we can offer better help. Also--if someone on this forum would be so kind as to post a video of an unimpaired boot sequence we can make a comparison from that as to what your robot should be doing when it starts up.

EileenP
EileenP's picture

Wow! Thank you SOOO much! When I get home this evening I will videotape turing on the iCybie and post, perhaps that would help.

Talk soon!
Eileen

Zerover
Zerover's picture

Sorry about your daughter--it must have been a big let down. I-Cybies are complex little toys and are difficult to diagnose. Because they are discontinued there are few who know how to tackle problems that occur. Almost everyone that owns them and uses them will have to become an expert in diagnosis and repair to keep them going. But if you are handy with a soldering gun you can handle quite a few issues that occur yourself. F

irst--if the legs are loose--that is, they rotate freely without the click of a clutch, then you can suspect a broken gear (this does not include head left/right rotation however--it should rotate freely unclutched). Since your robot can assume a splayed position we can almost certainly rule out a broken gear.

What exactly does the robot do when you plug in the battery and close the battery compartment door? The red/green flashing eyes signify a protection fault--usually caused by an appendage that cannot reach a designated position. H

ow long does it take for the eyes to flash after the door is closed? Are there any sounds--no matter how slight, coming from the robot before it assumes the splayed position?

Is the robot posture symetrical when the fault appears? Sometimes I-Cybie will try to move before a fault occurs. A good eye can isolate which limb triggers a protection fault by its position--it may not be symetrical with the complimentary limb in the final splay posture.

Again, since the robot drops to the splayed position we can almost rule out the shoulder and hip rotators triggering the fault. What is left is the head/neck assembly, the outer shoulder joints and the lower limbs--the tail never triggers a fault.

Cutting to the chase--in my experience it is probably a lower limb wire that is broken that is causing the fault--but if you answer the questions you can further define the problem and maybe we can offer better help. Also--if someone on this forum would be so kind as to post a video of an unimpaired boot sequence we can make a comparison from that as to what your robot should be doing when it starts up.

EileenP
EileenP's picture

Wow! Thank you SOOO much! When I get home this evening I will videotape turing on the iCybie and post, perhaps that would help.

Talk soon!
Eileen

Zerover
Zerover's picture

EileenP
EileenP's picture

Talk soon!
Eileen

Zerover
Zerover's picture

EileenP
EileenP's picture

Talk soon!
Eileen

Zerover
Zerover's picture

EileenP
EileenP's picture

Talk soon!
Eileen

Zerover
Zerover's picture

EileenP
EileenP's picture

Talk soon!
Eileen

Pages