Polly The Tekno Parrot

232 posts / 0 new
Last post
idrum289
idrum289's picture
Actually those legs belong to

Actually those legs belong to my sister. I think that video was done on the Christmas holidays.

Armoshobbies an...
Armoshobbies and Robodrome's picture
Oh I see Idrum well I was

Oh I see Idrum well I was close at least I knew they were female haha Armo

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Idrum I know I'm late on your

Idrum I know I'm late on your question but a paper clip end will work just fine. next post from me I'll tell you some differences on old and new styles that MistWalker told me about.

Jax

Henny
Henny's picture
Have you guys seen the 2005

Have you guys seen the 2005 Furby? Are they considered robots? Initially, they talk in Furbish and eventually after you keep talking to them, they learn your language. They sing and dance and rock to and fro. I know Furbys are basically for girls, but I think they are awesome, too. I have one that talks French. Very talkative. You feed them, too, and the rubber beak moves when they talk, and shows you when they are happy and sad.

How do I get an avatar?

idrum289
idrum289's picture
Henny said:  How do I get an

Henny said:  How do I get an avatar?

Easy. If you already know what picture you want and it's on your computer already, just go to your profile page and click on "change my photo". You can then click on the 'browse' button to find your photo and upload it. The "Upload New Image" button is just below the browse button.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
New update in the GALLERY for

New update in the GALLERY for mold making of the cracker. Once the resin dries I'll pull it out and take more pictures of the process. I just wanted to show you how easy it is to make a cracker mold if you already have one and need another one or if you want a spare in case you loose one. Once the mold is made you can cast it in anything you want and yes even candy to eat as long as your mold was made from the Amazing Mold Putty which is non toxic and can be baked with up to 425 deg F.

Enjoy the new How-To-Picture Article

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture
De-molded the cracker and now

De-molded the cracker and now it's just cleaning the sides up and then paint it silver. Photo added to gallery and a few more to come.

Jax

ps can someone rate this thread for me if you like it, LOL It's so lonely not having a rating score.. If not that's OK too

Armoshobbies an...
Well If anyone was open to

Well If anyone was open to blackmail you just done GW Jax Ill rate your article but it will cost yah one Polly Cracker for my Insane Birdie. Jax Im only kidding
just thought Id get yah.... Ill have a look at this new method of Polly cracking Regard...Armo

GWJax
GWJax's picture
LOL nice one thanks that gave

LOL nice one thanks that gave me a good laugh but I think I forgot something about an R2D2 that someone wanted? I just can't remember who it was... (inside joke guys and gails)

Jax

Armoshobbies an...
Ok TOUCHE' Regards Armo

Ok TOUCHE' Regards Armo

Henny
Henny's picture
Wow! Wowee !!! You are the

Wow! Wowee !!! You are the man, GW Jax ! That really looks nice ! Six thumbs up !!!!! Twelve stars !!!!! You're the man, Jax ! Polly needs a cracker !!!!!

Armoshobbies an...
Geeez Henny Im trying

Geeez Henny Im trying blackmail the bloke and you are filling him with praise.. We will never hear the end of this Mr Scott will have a Field Day haha dont let me down Mr Scott.. Armo

Daethian
Daethian's picture
Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

I found a Polly at an auction but with no box or manual. I printed your manual so I'm about to start that. The cracker is missing. Is it still possible to get one? I want to give this as a gift to my great nephew who is turning 8. I think he will love it.

Daethian
Daethian's picture
Okay I think I want to keep

Okay I think I want to keep Polly LOL What fun! I can't get Polly to burp, only sneeze and say Well Excuse Me! I followed the step on the pages in blue. I got the singing and dancing to work.

Polly is a bit garbled so I can't figure out what he's saying each time.

So the idea is to leave the bird on all the time so it will learn more?

Is there any ill effect of keeping Polly out of the cage too long?

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Daethian said:

Daethian said:
Okay I think I want to keep Polly LOL What fun! I can't get Polly to burp, only sneeze and say Well Excuse Me! I followed the step on the pages in blue. I got the singing and dancing to work.
Polly is a bit garbled so I can't figure out what he's saying each time.
So the idea is to leave the bird on all the time so it will learn more?
Is there any ill effect of keeping Polly out of the cage too long?

Well for one you must feed Polly to get him/her better so he/she does not sneeze so much also keeping Polly unatended in the cage is when it gets sick. There really is no ill effect from keeping Polly out of the cage but the batteries will run down faster. If you have or can make a power adaptor for the cage it will use this to power Polly but will not recharge it's batteries though. If you do not have a cracker then just use something to press the toung inside the mouth this will do until you can get a cacker.

Jax

Daethian
Daethian's picture
Are you still making and

Are you still making and selling crackers?
I only had Polly on for an hour and fed it 3 or 4 times. How the heck did Polly get sick?!

Armoshobbies an...
Hi you gotta love the bird

Hi you gotta love the bird Stroke its little back and hit it on the head every time it says Polly want a Cracker with a Hammer..LOL only kidding sounds like your birdie wasnt loved enough.. Just as GW Jax hes a birdie man from way back he will tell everything about birdies LOL.. Armo

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Oh yea by the way I will be

Oh yea by the way I will be posting the internals of the Polly very soon. I know some of you are having some speaker problems and I'll try to identify the problem that is causing this to happen so you can repair you beloved Polly back to it's original sounding voice thanks to MistWalker in donating a Polly for me with the same problem.

As of Polly being sick this is pretty hard to do in the first place as it took me about a week for him to get sick but it is a hoot to hear it. By taking care of it and feeding him but not too much this will cure his sickness, also after feeding him alot you need to pat him on the back to get him to burp. It's just like taking care of a baby. If you want to restore him to it's original condition as if he came out of the box, use the end of a paper clip and press the reset button on the left leg or in the newer ones under his tail by the on switch. He will then loose and reset all memory and you'll need to start him off all over again in training.

Jax

noel
noel's picture
im looking where i can find a

im looking where i can find a manual for the polly tekno parrot
i bought it for 5 dollars and and dont know how to programe it it eye light up and says some words that all can some one help me get a manual thanks noel

RebelTaz
RebelTaz's picture
noel said:

noel said:
im looking where i can find a manual for the polly tekno parrot
i bought it for 5 dollars and and dont know how to programe it it eye light up and says some words that all can some one help me get a manual thanks noel

If you will click on the image gallery link at the top of this post, there are JPG images of the instruction manual pages. Or you can download a PDF manual from http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/robots/manuals/Tekno_Parrot.pdf .

______
______'s picture
I just found this site when I

I just found this site when I was looking for solutions for my Polly. It's been a long time since I played with him and when I turned him on, he's speechless. I tried reseting it, but it won't work. I need some help.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
______ said: I just found

______ said: I just found this site when I was looking for solutions for my Polly. It's been a long time since I played with him and when I turned him on, he's speechless. I tried reseting it, but it won't work. I need some help.

Does your Polly have any movement? If it does I'll rip my spare one down and show you what to look for on the board and wires.

Jax

______
______'s picture
GWJax said:

GWJax said:

______ said: I just found this site when I was looking for solutions for my Polly. It's been a long time since I played with him and when I turned him on, he's speechless. I tried reseting it, but it won't work. I need some help.

Does your Polly have any movement? If it does I'll rip my spare one down and show you what to look for on the board and wires. Jax

Polly moves and does everything it suppose to, but it just won't speak or make any sounds.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
OK let me rip down my spare

OK let me rip down my spare Polly and try to help you out. Make sure you have a DMM "Digital Multi-Meter" handy for testing the wires, Speaker, and other components that are vital to Polly's speech circuit. One other thing What version of Polly do you have? Is the reset button on the left leg or under it's tail. I only have the one that is in the leg. I'm not really sure what the difference is inside of the two but I'm thinking that they are close enough to each other that circuit board is the same.

Jax

______
______'s picture
GWJax said: OK let me rip

GWJax said: OK let me rip down my spare Polly and try to help you out. Make sure you have a DMM "Digital Multi-Meter" handy for testing the wires, Speaker, and other components that are vital to Polly's speech circuit. One other thing What version of Polly do you have? Is the reset button on the left leg or under it's tail. I only have the one that is in the leg. I'm not really sure what the difference is inside of the two but I'm thinking that they are close enough to each other that circuit board is the same. Jax

I'm not sure what version it is, but  the reset button is on the left leg.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Great that means we have the

Great that means we have the same one. I have ripped down the Polly and now I'm starting to trace down the speaker control circuit. So give me a little while to do this and take measurements. I'll post all connections ans components you can check with a DMM soon. I'll also post in the gallery the rip down process pictures.

Jax

______
______'s picture
GWJax said: Great that means

GWJax said: Great that means we have the same one. I have ripped down the Polly and now I'm starting to trace down the speaker control circuit. So give me a little while to do this and take measurements. I'll post all connections ans components you can check with a DMM soon. I'll also post in the gallery the rip down process pictures. Jax

thanks for helping me out

GWJax
GWJax's picture
No problem. Re-reading my

No problem. Re-reading my posts from the past the Polly I'm ripping down has the same problem. NO voice, so what I find will most likely be the same problem with yours.

Jax

______
______'s picture
Then how can I fix it?

Then how can I fix it?

GWJax
GWJax's picture
______ said: Then how can I

______ said: Then how can I fix it?

You'll have to wait until I repair mine so I can tell you what you need to do.

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture
OK my Polly now speaks!!!

OK my Polly now speaks!!!

Here is what you need to replace and do. On the main board remove and replace Q8 transistor. Mine had a short on the Collector and Base of this transistor. You can replace it with a 2N3604 NPN Transistor or any general NPN transistor. Also you need to re-solder the jump board that connects all motors,LEDs,Speaker, etc. Below are a few pictures showing these parts.

Q8 is bad

Jump Board Removed

Jump Board Pin out

Hope this helps. I'll post the rest of the ripdown in the gallery

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Photos of the rip down are

Photos of the rip down are now in the gallery.

Jax

Mistwalker
Mistwalker's picture
Hello Jax, Wanted to let you

Hello Jax, Wanted to let you know I'm following these new Polly discussions with interest. What is the rip down in the gallery labeled as? Haven't had my Polly's running for awhile but have added a Tekno Pup awaiting interaction. They say the various Tekno critters recognize and react to each other, I want to see that. Life has been getting in the way of finishing writing that article comparing the various Pollys, but maybe these new discussions will help motivate. Enjoy the day! Mistwalker (and Polly#1 & Polly#3)

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Welcome back Mistwalker!!!

Welcome back Mistwalker!!!

The rip down of the Polly is just the pictures and read the comments under the them. The pics are at the bottom of the gallery in order of the way I took it apart.

Once you turn on your pup and Polly make sure that you get a video posted so we can see how they interact with each other.. I would love to see that and I wounder if the new pup will interact with the old bots. Hum...

Jax

Mistwalker
Mistwalker's picture
Hello Jax, Unfortunately the

Hello Jax, Unfortunately the "new" Tekno Pup is actually an old Tekno Pup, another thrify store find, and seems to suffer neurotic behavior. One of his best "tricks" so far is kicking up one front leg and falling over. Do you know where I can find a manual for it? Can't imagine the Pup could be very interesting on his own though, he can't turn, back up or sing songs. Supposedly he was developed as an amusing companion by a couple that worked nights in a computer lab, and predates the other Tekno critters.

robopizza
robopizza's picture
There is no circuitry in the

There is no circuitry in the robot's cage.  Just a 6V male jack hard wired to a 6V female jack for the bot's foot.

The phrases and such are just triggered by the cage connection not stored in it.

Lost Polly cages can be replaced with  a radio shack 6V adapter and a fabricated plug-in station/perch of your own design for full function. 

I took the cage apart for painting and discovered the simplicity of the AC plug.  Although I am following through on the cage paint I am thinking of putting the cage away when done and building a more unobtrusive perch/power station.

I could be wrong, but my experience is that the AC plug in the bot's foot acts a switch and cuts battery power but does not charge the unit's batteries if you are using rechargebles.

Cheers

GWJax
GWJax's picture
@ Robopizza,

@ Robopizza,

Yes you are correct about the cage's DC power plug and the DC power power from the cage does not recharge the bird's batteries at all. I'd love to see your new perch and if you are going to make the DC power set up to recharge the batteries. This would not be hard to do, you just need to build a small recharging circuit in your new perch and redirect the DC connectors in the birds foot. Keep us up to date on what you do.

Jax

robopizza
robopizza's picture
Hi GWJax,

Hi GWJax,

I could build a recharging circuit but not design it.  My technical skills stem from twenty year old US Navy training that was twenty years out of date when I received it.

I focus more on repairing used bots then modifying them.  I must admit to being a little bit OCD regarding trying to retain near mint condition units.

Accessories and periphials I am more open to modifying.  I plan/hope to achieve a nice brushed pewter finish for the cage and perhaps a couple of indicator LEDS in the base of the cage.

Cheers

Mistwalker
Mistwalker's picture
I'm always delighted when

I'm always delighted when someone takes interest in Polly. Be sure to post a photo of your brushed pewter Polly cage when you get that together. Somebody should come up with that "unobtrusive perch", though admittedly keeping my Pollys in their cages keeps them a bit cleaner. Dusting birds is too weird. Enjoy the day!

robopizza
robopizza's picture
Here is painted cage. 

Here is painted cage. 

cage

Replaced AC adapter plug w/ switch for back-up battery pack.

battery

Cheers

Mistwalker
Mistwalker's picture
The cage looks neat! I had

The cage looks neat! I had thought to paint one black but think the slate gray looks better. Nice job.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Nice job!! Are you still

Nice job!! Are you still thinking about adding LEDs to the cage?

Jax

robopizza
robopizza's picture
I thought it turned out all

I thought it turned out all right also.  Maybe more work on the cage later,  however I have some other repairs that take prededent so Polly is done for now.

Cheers

idrum289
idrum289's picture
Look guys! I got another

Look guys! I got another Polly. (16 robots now in total. I'm a dead set addict). Works perfect. AUD $5.00 and he came with his cracker. I'm watching Stargate Atlantis with my daughter so I can't play with both of them just yet. It's too noisy with 2 of these suckers...

Mistwalker
Mistwalker's picture
I've heard that Polly will

I've heard that Polly will relate to the Tekno Pup & Kitty, that they'll say or do something different, triggered by each other. Have you got any other Tekno robots in your collection to try this out with? How about the two Pollys? Do they recognize each other in any way? Let's hope it's not that it extends the pirate song!

idrum289
idrum289's picture
I'm still watching Stargate

I'm still watching Stargate so I'll find out tomorrow (it's 10:50pm here in Sydney, Australia). I'm hoping there is some interaction. I'll let you know. And I hope it's not the pirate song too!

GWJax
GWJax's picture
idrum now that you have a

idrum now that you have a cracker try to make another one using the molding process that I had posted here in the thread. If you do it let us know how you fared with it.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture
I actually thought about that

I actually thought about that before I picked up the 2nd Polly but the guy surprised me by handing me the cracker as well, so now I have 2! I'd love to have a go at it though. One day....

Lady Selene
Lady Selene's picture
Hi,

Hi,
I wished I had found this site a long time ago, I also have Polly, mine is like brand new, with the cage, and cracker. I loved her as soon as I saw her, and had to take her home [Seeing as I have an African Gray] Bonnie went crazy over Polly, talking to her, blowing her kisses, and telling her to shut up, laughing at her ...> They had a website up, I printed out the entire site. I have the following information if anyone is interested; "whats inside Polly's head" a wiring diagram of Polly's computer, sensors, and outputs, it also explains about how the cage is made [with a pix]. Another one is What's inside Polly's body, then a 16 page Owners Manual, then I have pages that were labeled "Top Secret" The Alarm Clock; Polly's Tricks; Mimic'N Words; Speak'N; Sing'n & Dancin; Repeat'n Back; Eatin; Sneeze & Burp; Wing Flappin'; Talkin; Snore'n;Coo'n; Catch'n Cold; About Polly; Polly's Pearch; Polly's Maker; ... Then I have the small owners manual that came with Polly also. I read the posts above ... VERY interesting.
Let me know; have a great weekend
~ Bright Blessings ~
Lady Selene

robopizza
robopizza's picture
Hello Lady Selene,

Hello Lady Selene,

Yes, your info is interesting. What is inside polly's head and body and the rest sounds great.

Please post.

Cheers

Pages