OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 5785580.0
March 27, 2008 09:03 PM

Categories: News, Rumors and Gossip General Robotics

Rating (1 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

GWJax

Hey guys I wanted to know if any one has this parrot. it came out in 2001 by manley toy quest part #14614. I can not find any data on it. I found it at a thrift store and it has never been opened and brand new except for the dust. Got it for 5 bucks. This is what it does. eyes change colors, head dress & mouth moves, flapping wings, and he talks, has AI, extensive vocabulary, voice learning capabilty, touch, light & sound sensors. the discription on the back reads: "Direct from the Institute of Robotic Technology comes this amazing interactive robot pet-- POLLY THE TEKNO PARROT! Polly talks with people he senses around him just like a real parrot. Polly's electronic cuircuits can detect motion, sound, light and even touch. He will snore off to sleep at night and wake up in the morning. If you pet him, he will "coo" and move his wings. Don't leave him in his cage too long or he may catch cold! You can even TEACH HIM NEW WORDS and other amazing tricks!" I'm not sure if this is a treasure that should not be opened or should I open it up and start the squaking from him. Here is a few pics I took. I hope someone can shine some insight for me before I open it up. Oh i also has aan electronics cracker I guess to feed him when he gets hungry. IThe original batteries are dead and I think If I don;t remove them It may leak in the battery holder and make it useless. What do you think I should DO!.

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 31-45 of 233 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 616 Next »

October 14, 2008 5:59 AM

Thanks Jax! I'll keep an eye lit for your posting. We suspected there was more manual but haven't been able to locate it. Enjoyed your video. Your Polly speaks a little more distinctly then ours, and seems non-stop. Ours paces itself a little better but has added an annoying periodic beep. I'm thinking the batteries are getting low. Enjoy the day!

October 14, 2008 6:56 AM

Found the manual now I need to attach the scanner to post the missing pages, and yes that little beep you hear is the batteries, my polly was in the original unopened box that I got for 5.00 at a thrift store looking for old robots, once I replaced the battteries I pressed the reset button to set it back to the default setings and erase it's memory and learning, mybe this it the reason he talks so much. I hope you have the cage as he needs to be put in there once in a while but dont store him in there for a long time else he will get sick if you leave him turned on. If you or anyone else need his cracker let me know and I'll make on for you fromm the original just PM me about it if you want one. Plus if you don't have a cage I can make that as well. Just give me a few more days and I'l post the rest of the manual.

Jax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

October 14, 2008 7:32 AM

awesome accent!!!is it yours?a2:the video

RQ THE GREAT=IQUAD[OU]

ROBOTICS IS MY LIfe!!!badhoboses.
roboquad 4 eternity!!
robots are the future!!!
my robots-[in short form]-rq'robop;rsv2,rsv1;rsm,roborap,roborep.

October 14, 2008 7:44 AM

Thanks iquad,

Jax

October 14, 2008 8:15 AM

Hello Jax, I just gave Polly fresh batteries and it's talking more, plus much more distinctly. The cracker can be substituted with anything generally that size that you can trigger the mouth with. We're using a book of matches. I'm interested in a recharger though. Let me know what you can come up with. I was thinking of snagging another Polly off Ebay, just for the recharger, but would rather not have a silly blue cage standing around.

Being American myself I'm not detecting an accent, but I do like your faceial decoration!

October 14, 2008 8:42 AM

Mist I can make an exact copy of the cracker if you want. Just PM me and I let you know the price which will be cheap.. And thaks for the comment on my Avatar in which is my Elvinator that I an making from the Alive Elvis bust, I have 4 articles on this and part 5 will be posted in about a week now. Oh the recharger does not come with the cage, you need to buy a standard recharger for the cage, plus if you don't like the blue cage you can paint it to a color that you may like, Black with a distress look would be great.

Jax

October 14, 2008 8:51 AM

Hi Jax, I don't have a cage, and no recharger. Keep in mind I'm new here, don't know much about such things as rechargers, and am still trying to figure out what "PM" means. It was a big step for me to unscrew the plate and change the batteries. Do you think the cracker does anything special besides move the lever inside the mouth? Does the cracker have any interactive qualities?

I think my only other "robot" is a tiny R2D2 that beeps when you push a button on his chest. No wait! That reminds me, somewhere is a 7" remote controlled R2D2. Do they count as robots?

October 14, 2008 10:38 AM

Ok first the PM is a personal message, to get to it just move you cursor over my Avatar "picture" and you'll see a button that says send PM click this btton to send me a private message.
second the cage is a docking station for the parrot to add more talking phrases and capable of getting cage sick and it is used to charge your parrot via a external power supply that does not come with the original parrot, it is an option.
the cracker is only for feeding him and as you can tell in the photos it looks alot better than using something else but you can use anything you want to feed him even your finger will work as long as you can trigger his toung. If you want a cracker I can make a copy of it plus spray it silver to keep the style of the parrot the same. I could do this for only $5.00 US plus shipping so PM me if you want this and as for the cage I can buid this one also or just the base so you can recharge him.

Jax

October 15, 2008 7:48 AM

Hello Jax, So I should try and find a real Polly cage because more phrases are available stored in it? I know it sneezes if you leave it in the cage too long, stuff like that. I'm guessing if you got a recharger together for me it would just recharge, but wouldn't add to the programing, correct?

About the cracker ..... I was eating some regular saltines, listening to Polly, and he asked for a cracker. So what the heck, I stuffed a real one in his mouth. It worked! I used the same cracker on and off the rest of the evening, and he pretty much crumbled it, but it is visually pretty funny to see Polly munching on a real cracker.

October 15, 2008 8:41 AM

Mistwalker said: Hello Jax, So I should try and find a real Polly cage because more phrases are available stored in it? I know it sneezes if you leave it in the cage too long, stuff like that. I'm guessing if you got a recharger together for me it would just recharge, but wouldn't add to the programing, correct? About the cracker ..... I was eating some regular saltines, listening to Polly, and he asked for a cracker. So what the heck, I stuffed a real one in his mouth. It worked! I used the same cracker on and off the rest of the evening, and he pretty much crumbled it, but it is visually pretty funny to see Polly munching on a real cracker.

lol I never thought of useing a real cracker that is too funny plus it add to the seen of having a real parrot.. plus having the cage he will also ask you to take him out and play with him. If he gets sick and you can not get it under control you can just press the rest button and start all over but all the training you did will be lost which is a down side but then he's better as well.

Jax

ps I sent you a PM describing about the cage.

October 15, 2008 10:06 AM

*** Deleted By Moderator ***

October 15, 2008 9:46 PM

Just to let all of you know that the complete user book is now posted in the gallery.

Jax

October 16, 2008 7:20 AM

Thanks Jax! The manual posted on the Internet certainly was missing the good stuff, like how to program Polly's tricks! I can't wait until the rest of the house is awake so I can experiment. Last night I left Polly on the kitchen table and he finally fell asleep so I forgot he was still active. Pre-dawn I was typing at the computer, sneezed, and was startled by a loud "It's a beautiful day!!! Took awhile for Polly to snore himself back to sleep.

So now I'm really confused about the cage/recharger thing. Let's see if I'm starting to get it..... the cage is not a recharger but it takes over powering Polly when Polly is in it. You can't use rechargeable batteries if you're using the cage. Polly picks up additional phrases while in the cage. Would those additional phrases then be accessible to Polly out of the cage? Or only while Polly is in the cage? If I got Polly a recharger and rechargeable batteries Polly could be stashed on the recharger.

Do you know of, or can you think of, any interesting hacks that could be carried out on Polly?

October 16, 2008 8:16 AM

OK if you want to recharge Polly you must have rechargeable batteries in him, the cage is a docking station for him so he can be recharged and also he will notice that he is in his cage, so more phrases are added to his talking, the cage is then plugged into a wall wart with 6volts @ 500ma which is not included in the original package and is an option. As long as you don't turn him off or replace the batteries or let the batteries drain down he will keep all his newly learned words and phrases and also if you don't hit the reset button as well.

As of hacking Polly I have not thought of any thing nor have I opened him up to see how he ticks. The only thig I can think of without ripping him apart is to add featherss thand do some paint work on him, but if I deside to hack him I'll post it here.
Jax

October 17, 2008 8:38 AM

Hello, or should I say "It's a beautiful day!" Now that I've submitted my photograph you'll note the family resemblance with Polly. We're having loads of fun with the programing, especially with the full manual Jax provided. Playing cards last night we were one player short so Polly sat in. Polly didn't win many games but he sure cracked everyone up. Unfortunately Polly gobbles power when singing and "dancing" (three different songs) and by the end of the evening had weakened.

So a couple of questions ..... when Polly first ran through a song and dance, even with fresh batteries, parts of the sound were muted. What causes this, and can it be remedied? Also .... the phrases we taught Polly that evening started by playing back very loud and then got quieter and quieter, though the pre-programed phrases stayed strong. Would the recording ability wear out? Remember this Polly is second-hand with an unknown history. I've got my sights on what appears to be a "new" Polly with cage and cracker, and am closing in.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 31-45 of 233 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 616 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window