Polly The Tekno Parrot

232 posts / 0 new
Last post
Armoshobbies an...
Armoshobbies and Robodrome's picture

Hi another Robot arrived today called the Robokid.. Do you get it in the US or is it some other name. Hes a great little fella not mmuch smaller than wowwee Robosapien and can walk, left/right shoots discs from his mouth has machine gun sound and weapon lights up on firing.. 12 different programmable functions and best of all he is cheap I think the quality is there Lights up everywhere its great to see at night..Someone over in US might have one retailing here for 38.95 plus postage total deal 53.95 but I won one on Ebay for 7.50 brand new plus postage 25.00 and I really think he is worth the money ...regards Armo

GWJax
GWJax's picture

idrum289 said:
GW, the manual I downloaded doesn't have the pages for replacing his batteries and using the power adaptor. I'm assuming the pages in blue in the attached gallery are from the blue manual which you say is yours and my version? By the way, my Polly still has not arrived today. Hopefully tomorrow.....
I've just finished reading the manual and I didn't realise how much there was to this little critter. I've been sitting at my computer imagining what it sould be like to have him on all day at work and then chat to him on the drive home etc....!

Yes the black book verison is the same except for the missing blue pages I posted. Also the black version manual it's Polly has the reset button on the tail and ours is on the left leg. Also the CDS sensor on top of the head is larger than ours as well, but not sure whats diffrent in the Polly bt the cage charger is also diffrent. As of taking him to work you might want to find a way to quiet him down a bit because he is non stop talking and always begs to get out of the cage, hehe if not he will get a cold then you have to take care of him until hes better, haha, you'll love it.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I'm so much looking forward to getting him. Hopefully today! Can't wait hehehehe....

GWJax
GWJax's picture

idrum289 said:
I'm so much looking forward to getting him. Hopefully today! Can't wait hehehehe....

hehe I know wht you mean, just ask Mistwalker about her Polly#1 and #3,  She gave me #2 to rip down because she now has both versions of the Pollys. I was the same when I got him before I started this thread but because it was never opened I was concerned about loosing its value but I'm glad I did because the old batteries were starting to croide in the housing. So a big thanks to MrScott for his input to my delema.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Look what arrived! My wife even drove to my work to give it to me. I unpacked him and turned him on and he just beeps at me. His vision and sound sensors are working as his eyes flashed red but I need to stop this incessant beeping. It came with batteries but I'll replace them with newies. I tried turning him off and then on again but no change. As we're short staffed today it may take me a while before I'm ready to sort this. But it's here! Woohoo!!

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Sorted! The batteries were in the wrong way (no, I didn't put them in!). I replaced them with new ones anyway. Works like a charm. You're right GW, noisy little critter! I like this little bird a lot.

Armoshobbies an...

WEll you 2 birdie lovers I cant wait to get mine now you are making me like a kid cant wait to get it haha ok I hope i enjoy Polly as much as idrum289 and GW Jax eh. regards Armo

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Congrats Idrum, LOL on the batteries! Try to get him sick by leaving him in the cage as long as you can and don't feed him.. hehe

Armo, I can't wait till you get yours as well, you'll love him as he's alot of fun to play with and will be your buddy as you build new bots..

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Don't feed him! Then all he'll say is "Polly wannna cracker!" and "I'ts time for a snack". If he was a real bird he'd be as big as a turkey by the end of the week!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOL, I know but he will get sick faster if you don't feed him and keep him in the cage. Remember you must keep him in the cage else he won't get sick. You can also put him to sleep by placing a small piece of electrical tape over his top photo sensor on his head or just wait till you go to bed and turn out the lights. and when the lights come back on he will wake up and start talking again and asking for food. I know this sounds bad but its really is funny to hear him cough and then you have to make him better and if you can't just hit the reset button on him but if you programed him in any way he will loose his memory and you will have to be reprogrammed again only if you want to.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I recorded a 2 word phrase for him to say when people come into my office - "Get out!". I assume to reset him you need a fine point ball pen or a pencil?

Armoshobbies an...

See Im looking at all this info from you two guys and seems to me youve both gone twitty. Am I goin to be like this when my Poly comes.. Ah I think ill play with my new Hovercraft and work out some Birdie thoughts hahaha Armo

Armoshobbies an...

For GW JAX and Idrum289 Sorry boys I just could help myself I got that ther Dog.
I just couldnt see Bidder2 whoever that is looking after it So how about some name suggestions??? I think of one B..... Dear Doggie... regards Armo

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Armoshobbies and Robodrome said: For GW JAX and Idrum289 Sorry boys I just could help myself I got that ther Dog. I just couldnt see Bidder2 whoever that is looking after it So how about some name suggestions??? I think of one B..... Dear Doggie... regards Armo

See? It's a disease I tell you....

Armoshobbies an...

Disease!!!!!! between you and I its a Plague just look a GW Jax whats its done to him all the Bots he has and still looking eh Armo

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOL yes it is a Plague that will consume you every waking hour you'll be thinking about them and how to change them and then it really gets fun when you have soo many projects going on at the same time it hard to keep up. hehe but you have to love it because your always learning something new each day. But the down fall is that it makes you crazy if you cannot make them do what you want them to do, but one always finds a way to figure it out then it on to the next project and the loop keep going on.

Jax

@ Armo: How about little Bertha for the dog name?

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Oh good, All I have to do is get my skills up to speed with my ideas!!
Baby steps....

GWJax
GWJax's picture

idrum289 said:
Oh good, All I have to do is get my skills up to speed with my ideas!!
Baby steps....

Come on idrum no baby steps, jump in and get your feet wet, Its alot more fun that way, hehehe

As long as you know electronics then your ok to expand that knowledge in robotic hacking.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

That's just it. Last time I did any electronics was..er..let me think...too long ago!

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Hey GW, I let Polly get sick, what a riot! "Awww...I feel sick" But he soon perks up when someone comes near - "Polly wanna cracker!". Hilarious!

Armoshobbies an...

Hi Idrum289 havent heard from you been busy eh .. I should get my Polly this week then ill compare parrots with yah.. did you get RD fixed .. You will have to explain more about Polly to me so I know what im in for..Sounds like youve gone Chirpy on us haha Armo

MrScott
MrScott's picture

We're all going to be in such trouble when the PEToR* principles get organized. Tongue out

* People for the Ethical Treatment of Robots

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOL MrScott..
Idrum I thought you would like to hear that. I did not want to tell you what he said because its funnier to hear it for your self. So How long did it take you to get him sick. Mine took 2 days lol.

Jax

Armoshobbies an...

hello you Polly Parrot lovers out there im pleased to announce that ive been to the post office and Polly Armo arrived today
So ill unpack it and give it a go ok let you all know my birdie comments Armo

idrum289
idrum289's picture

GWJax said: LOL MrScott.. Idrum I thought you would like to hear that. I did not want to tell you what he said because its funnier to hear it for your self. So How long did it take you to get him sick. Mine took 2 days lol. Jax

It took about an hour! all he said leading up to it was "Polly wanna cracker!" "It's time for a snack" with the occasional "Who turned out the lights?". Boy he likes to eat!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

idrum 1hour??? WOW!! that was fast! I think I starved my too much because he had a cold for about 1/2 hour and I had to stroke his back and feed him a lot to calm him down. I guess each Polly has his/her own personality in the firmware. but it's still really funny to do since it a robot and not a real animal.
Next thing I see if the squawkers McCall will get sick, I'll keep you all informed on that one. hehe

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Armoshobbies and Robodrome said: Hi Idrum289 havent heard from you been busy eh .. I should get my Polly this week then ill compare parrots with yah.. did you get RD fixed .. You will have to explain more about Polly to me so I know what im in for..Sounds like youve gone Chirpy on us haha Armo

Been busy having a lousy week at work, well, a lousy Friday at work before I go on 3 weeks holiday. I'm glad I'm not there!!

I'll have to turn Polly back on and feed him, then feed him, then feeed him some more and when all that's over, I'll probably have to feed him again! Maybe I'll just call him "Fatso".....

Armo, you've got me puzzled over the "did you get RD fixed". What is it you're referring to?

I've definitely gone chirpy or is that troppo? He he...

Before I give Fatso some TLC I must honour a promise I made to my son - put together some Lego. I'll fill you in on anything else Fatso does.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

GW, I saw one of those Squawkers McCaw things in Target a couple of weeks ago. It was on sale at AUD$90.00 - Tempting.....

GWJax
GWJax's picture

idrum289 said:
GW, I saw one of those Squawkers McCaw things in Target a couple of weeks ago. It was on sale at AUD$90.00 - Tempting.....

He is very cool indeed, a must have I say.. in the early part of this thread I showed some pictures of him and started a thread but for some reason I still can not upload any more pictures of him in the gallery. Not sure why, but only this thread won't let me do it.. Oh well I guess.

Jax

Armoshobbies an...

Ah been jabber jawing you two in my absence.. well this bird all it keeps saying Polly want a cracker and where is everybody haha ive stroked it and it says cooee or something like that speech is good but ive programmed him to dance ok but when i clap my hands for him to dance just says polly wants a cracker.. new batteries how big is the B..... Cracker Armo and who turned out the lights ????

Pages