robosapien v2 neck problem

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture

Update on the video, My V2 broke a wire at a choke on the waist motor had to find and repair the choke and in the search I have more wire rot. So I think I will replace every wire in the V2, this is going to take awhile, ryburger1 how's your V2 working? Did you find the problem? If so I won't worry about a video unless Naturnal wants one for future troubleshooting?

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

GWJax said: ryburger1 how's your V2 working? Did you find the problem? If so I won't worry about a video unless Naturnal wants one for future troubleshooting?

I haven`t found the problem yet. I ran a continuity test on the sensor board`s connectors, and theyr`e fine, oddly enough. I also made a new video.

altwolf
altwolf's picture

how hard would it be to give the head it's own motor? It bugs me how slow and painful sounding it is when v2 turns his head. Make me tired just watching it.

altwolf
altwolf's picture

oh, just watched that video. I guess a better question would be, how hard would it be to give the hands their own motors?

Billboard
Billboard's picture

That is exactly what is going on with the V2 I am selling.

milw
milw's picture

re the vertical head tilting problem- as Nocturnal suggested above, you should check the wiring for the head tilt/nod...

Have you taken the back shell off your V2 yet? The head nodding is run by a yellow/brown wire going to a red plug, top center of the motor board, labelled 'HEAR' on my motor board. The sensor for head nodding is a fine 3 wire red/orange/brown, located at the left base of the neck, going to a white 3 pin connector at the top of the main board.

Can you pull the connector for the head motor, and try feeding it with a couple of batteries? I did that using two AAA batteries (3V) and depending on the polarity you should be able to make the head tilt forward or backward.

Here's some pix of the board and the connectors for head nodding.

neck tilt sensor

neck tilt motor plug

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I heard the snap at 1:55 in the video while the head turns to its left its breaf but its there, I see you did not replace the black wire yet, A broken wire is hard to find I would replace this wire and then do as milw said check your head motor with batteries unplugged from the board. this is all the help I can give you unless I have the v2 in my hands sorry.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

artwolf it would be pretty hard to give the arms and head its own motor, you would have to redesign the unit and reprogram the cpu for the added motors. Correct me if i'm wrong nacturnal.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Your not the first person to ask this altwolf, its possible, but only in parrallel with the existing motor (and there would be positional sensor issues). So to open the hands, the head would still turn to the left. As GWJax has said, anything else would require a new brain. 

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Thanks, Milw, that should help!

Gwjax, those wires are fine, unless your`e talking about a different wire.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

change out the black wire on the sensor board and plug. unless you really think it's good. that was the only wire that I could duplicate the issue with the head clicking right or left.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

GWjax, you`re not going to beleive this. after taking off the connector abd brushes for continuity tests, the dance works! It was a probably a loose connection for the sensor board. I taped it for proof:

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Great to hear that. I was at my whits ends on this problem... So it was a loose connection. have fun with your V2. Problem answered and closed.......GWJax

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

What about the second problem?

milw
milw's picture

Have you tried running the neck tilt motor with some batteries yet? (yellow-brown wire, red plug)

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I agree not response from you testing this problem.

And one more question are you truly testing the parts that we are suggesting you to do. Because I feel that the sensor problem could have saved us alot of time if tested properly.

raymon2007
raymon2007's picture

on my rsv1 every time i dont play with it for a long time,i turn him on,and then he moves his torso a little bit.what shall i do?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

raymon2007 replace your batteries.
Jax

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Interesting place for the gear to break. That particular gear you probably can source a replacement for.

SolarBotics sells gear motors that are supposed to be the same as the ones Wow Wee uses, so if you find the one that matches the one you have with the broken gear, you should be able to strip it down for a replacement gear.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Uh, thanks. I forgot to the thread when Milw mailed me a new gearbox, plus, the gear was from the rotation sensor box, which SB dosen`t sell.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

rybuger1 what gear are you looking for? I maybe able to help you on this.

Jax

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

GWjax, Milw`s already replaced the gear, so my V2`s working fine now.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

rybuger1 said: GWjax, Milw`s already replaced the gear, so my V2`s working fine now.

So what gear was it? Just for refrence so I can make a mold of it and try diffrent resins and plastics for it so I can find out what would work best so the gear teeth won't break and have them ready for future ppl that might have that problem.

Thanks, Jax

Elliotrobots
Elliotrobots's picture

What Is The Website Link To The Buy New Parts For The Wow Wee Robots!

milw
milw's picture

Nocturnal said:
Interesting place for the gear to break. That particular gear you probably can source a replacement for.
SolarBotics sells gear motors that are supposed to be the same as the ones Wow Wee uses, so if you find the one that matches the one you have with the broken gear, you should be able to strip it down for a replacement gear.

Try the Solarbotics referenced in this post from earlier in this thread...

Latetothegame
Latetothegame's picture

Hi,  I know this thread is years old but I've recently bought my son one of these as there is nothing else like him that's affordable on the market I think. We've replaced nearly all of his wiring and he was working fine. But now his neck has started snapping going either left or right within the normal range of movement and also his  hands. I was was just wondering if this was ever fully resolved and whether if it's a stripped gear whether you could offer more precise advice as to where it is located, how to get it out and how to replace?  

Pages