robosapien v2 neck problem

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
rybuger1
rybuger1's picture
robosapien v2 neck problem

I have a robosapien v2, and he can`t tilt his head vertically- it seems a gear in the gear box is broken.

Huge Update:  I found the problem with my V2- the part that joins the output of the head tilt rotation sensor and the neck was broken in two- here`s a pic of the broken gear.

The culprit!

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I don't know about the head tilting vertically, but that clicking noise when he turns his head to the left is bad.

Bellow the head, in the chest, is a long thin circuit board, with several lines on it. There is also an arm with little prongs on it, that contact with the lines, that moves left and right when he turns his head. Check that the prongs are making good contact with lines on the board. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

If you take a look over in this thread at the photo's Mr Scott has posted, you can see the board I am talking about in the last photo.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I'll post it here, for convenience....

The black disk at the top of the photo is the base of the RSV2 neck.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

THe prongs are making contact, so he thinks his head is okay. I still think it`s the gear box- when I try to tilt the head I hear a whirring noise, but the head dosen`t move.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I would say you have a broken gear in the Gearbox as well, The only way to find out is to remove the head and remove the gearbox and open it up. You may be able to make another gear by making a mold of the Gear from another gearbox and the relacing it. If you need help in this area let me know. GWJax

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Wow. The idea of making a mold for the gear sounds a bit over the top. Couldn`t I buy on from wow wee?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Don't know if they sell parts for their robots, I have always made my spair parts. I guess find the gears that are broken then take a picture of it in the gearbox and then out and send it to WoWWee and see if they will sell one to you.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

GWJax,I think you`ll like this...

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Whats the url for this location. and do they have a parts diagram for all their bots?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Just another question for you, If you knew that you could get the parts from WowWee then why did you post this thread? Was if for reassurance before you opened up the head to check the gearbox or what? Just wanted to know.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Accually, I noticed that when I was contacting wow wee about the problem- which I did after posting the topic.

and the url is:http://www.wowweesupport.com/contactus.php

The page mentions that you can buy parts for the online store, but they only have fly tech parts.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Well that puts a damper on your Bot. Have you identified your gear or gears that are broken? If so post a picture and I'll see what I can do in finding you a replacement or making your own. Now that you know that you can not buy the gear it makes better sence to make your own. Dose it not? Once you understand how to make molds you'll be making them all the time just to save time and you will always have a replacement if you need one. Just let me know what you want me to do. I do have a V2 so if I need to open up the head and get the gearbox out, I can show you how to make your own.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

I haven`t found which gear is broken, yet.

It seems like I could get the gears from the wow wee support site, though.

edit: do you have any tips for getting the gearbox out?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Well if you need help from me just PM me.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Ok, thanks! 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

rybuger1, I looked at the video again and compaired it with mine, As I see it you do not have a broken gear but rather than a malfunction on a sensor that is over shooting the movements. here is a picture of the motor your looking for its right infrot of the chest and under the springs.:

Now in the next picture you'll see that board with the brushes on it.

With the brushes in this possition use your meter and make sure that all connection on the board are shorted togeather. Now re move the brush, each line on the board is open to each other which means they do not conduct as before with the brush added. The one line we are concerned about is the 2 short lines use your meter to check to see if both are connected with the blue wire if they are not remove the board and solder on the back of the board a small wire connecting these pads togeather. This is whats happening. as you go into the demo mode, when its time to move the head and  fingers it is not seeing the ground pulse from these lines so it thinks it still has more room to move. If the lines on the board are ok then bend the brushes down more so they connect very well with the board. This will fix your problem. If not let me know you may have a broken wire. If so ohm out the blue wire from the board to the connector in the back and make sure you disconnect the plug from the board and move the wire around, pulling and tugging on it while you measure the continunity of the wire.

Also check the green wire in the same maner. Let me know the results.  Also check that Green switch that you see in the first picture. Thanks GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Kudos to GWJax for going above and beyond the call of duty by stripping down his bots to duplicate symptoms other members report.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

MrScott, Thats why I here to help others and learn more about the WowWee product lines. Plus I enjoy it. Thanks for noticing me.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Hmmm... A broken sensor.... I seem to recall saying that way back at the begining.

Kudos on the level of detail. Do you have alternate instructions in case rybuger1 does not own a multimeter (or has one, but not one with a continuity tester)?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

btw, the green switch is not related to movement. Its sole purpose is to determine if the fingers on the hands have closed fully. ie, if its holding something or not.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

nocturnal thanks for the input on the green switch, that was a after thought, I did not cut that wire to to fully simulate the problem. next time I'll do a complete simulation.

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture

Acually, I do have a multimiter with continuity, so I`ll check him today.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Great let me know if I have to do more research. Although I did smiulate the problem. But that does not mean that something else is causing this.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nocturnal said: Hmmm... A broken sensor.... I seem to recall saying that way back at the begining. Kudos on the level of detail. Do you have alternate instructions in case rybuger1 does not own a multimeter (or has one, but not one with a continuity tester)?

Yes I do Nocturnal you could make a tester with a simple flashlight and some wire or make your own continuity tester with a LED a resistor and a battery. If any one need such a devise I'll show them how easy it is to make one.

Also if you have a multimeter with no continunity tester on it set your meter to the lowest ohm's setting if you get all 000 on your meter then you have a short. Just had to add the first question in.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

:) I probably still have mine around here somewhere. I went all out using an LED torch, I soldered some blunted needles onto the wire leads and covered the joins with shrink wrap, seemed like such a brilliant idea, until I stabbed myself a few times.

Testing resistance can fool you when your dealing with a break in a wire that is making intermittent contact.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

lol, the reason I'm laughing is because I did the same thing some years ago, Needles are not the way to do it I found out but at least you shaved down the point. With the wire being broken inside that is one reason I asked him to tug and pull on the wire. A broken wire is hard to find sometimes is better to just replace it if it is a suspect.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Based of people who have had similar problems in the past, its more likely to be a problem with the wipers than the wiring, but there is always a first time for everything.

Any suggestions for psuedo probes that don't involve sheding blood? I'm thinking those metal ballpoint pen refills might work well, though extracting the ink could be... messy.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Hey, guys, based on this subthread, and others like it that I've seen, I just started a Tools Thread

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/13209/Tools-of-the-Trade/

to collect  some recommended tool selection and use tips and hints. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

If trying to get into the wire the really is no way around the needles, But using a nice small piano wire and attaching it to the inside of the ballpoint pen casing should work great.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Never tried sticking the probes into the wires myself. On the rare occasions when I have been searching for the specific break point inside a wire, I stretch the wire taught and run the wire between my fingers, you can feel the difference at the point where the break is.

Pages