OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 658230.0
February 22, 2008 04:22 PM

Categories: News, Rumors and Gossip Other WowWee Robots

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

RoboCommunity Team

Administrator

On behalf of WowWee, we'd like to extend a challenge to anyone who has captured their FlyTech Dragonfly being snatched up in mid-air by surprise!

But first, some background information... You may or may not have heard about poor Danny McGorry's electronic insect. A local red-tailed hawk from his town in Long Island simply couldn't hold back on swooping down on his new holiday toy, and attacked his Dragonfly. I guess it was the "Hawk that stole Christmas!"

Turns out, we heard from WowWee that they have been receiving a number of service calls about this same issue - there have been several "Dragonfly Vs. Hawk" incidents!

How to Enter the FlyTech Dragonfly VS. Hawk Challenge

We would love to see members of our community submit their "Hawk VS. Dragonfly" videos.

And don't worry, if you did manage to catch the event on film, WowWee will be happy to replace your Dragonfly with a brand new one.

All you need to do is send your video submission to videos@robocommunity.com. You can utilize a service such as YouSendIt to do this. Videos must be sent directly to this email address to qualify.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 16-27 of 27 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2

February 26, 2008 10:54 AM

iflyrc1012 said: it must be tough being the only guy who doesn't get the joke.. . i'm sorry you are humorless, its sad really. . . scotty boy..
CALLING MRSCOTT SCOTTY BOY WAS MY IDEA!

J.T.
A begginer robofanatic!

February 26, 2008 11:10 AM

J. T. said: CALLING MRSCOTT SCOTTY BOY WAS MY IDEA!

You go ahead and think/claim that.  That nickname, as it rarely applies to me, is older than you.  I'm guessing it's about 3 times older than you. 

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

February 26, 2008 11:18 AM

I meant in the site, scotty boy. I know I haven't called you that yet, but I was just waiting for the right time.

J.T.
A begginer robofanatic!

February 26, 2008 9:48 PM

Here's the prep for the Sparrow. I'm reconditioning my blue Dragonfly body, incorporating the 170 mAh LiPO battery into the body. just enough space on top of the circuit board for it! I've also removed the blue eye LEDs and put a single red one pointing downward (i don't know, but suspect that blue or red glowy eyes might seem weird to a hawk? ). I probably shouldn't have colored the wings all over, it would look more real to have them feathered like a real bird. Oh well.

February 26, 2008 10:34 PM

looks great milw good luck! you'll need it. hehe and go with the video cap tat would be cool to see.

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

February 26, 2008 11:33 PM

This should be interesting.

RoboGuide - Your guide to hacking all things WowWee

March 3, 2008 6:13 AM

Woa. We have lot's of hawks tacking our chickens. When I see one, I'll get my Dragonfly out.

View unverified member's comment - posted by robotics fan

March 12, 2008 3:42 PM

There's been some more coverage on this, courtesy of NPR radio!

check it out here!

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

December 22, 2008 3:32 PM

hmm... this challenge is interesting ,but it depends where you live ;for example ,a few years ago I had a dragonfly  (it still can fly but it's starting to be a bit old and it lost a good part of it's colour ) ,so it's a perfect prey ,but I don't think there is french eagles who is silly enough to try to catch a dragonfly.

August 23, 2010 7:48 PM

*** Deleted By Moderator ***

February 19, 2011 12:56 PM

*** Deleted By Moderator ***

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 16-27 of 27 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window