OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 3016540.0
February 11, 2008 01:45 PM

Categories: Robosapien V1 & V2

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

SJEinTexas

Has anyone on this forum been experiencing delays in getting a replacement RSV2 from WowWee?  My 12 year old son and I discovered that we had an RSV2 with defective wiring last December.  I called WowWee customer support and talked to Jason.  He seemed to be familiar with the problem and after telling him the serial number of our RSV2, told me that WowWee would send us a replacement.  So, on December 5th, 2007, we sent in the parts WowWee requested: the foot battery covers, remote control, arm wires, and pictures of the serial number and bad wiring.

On January 3rd, we got a message that a replacement RSV2 would be sent out on Friday, January 4th, so we were very happy.  Unfortunately, it was not sent on January 4th.  It was also not sent on the other dates that were later promised of January, 11th, 18th, and 25th.  Each time the date was delayed, the story changed (I could give details of each of the stories, but it would be a long, long post).  The current story is that WowWee customer support is waiting on a new shipment of RSV2s from Hong Kong because their current stock of replacements has been depleted by recent replacement shipments.

This brings up a number of concerns, such as, are there that many defective RSV2s out there that need to be replaced?  Or, is WowWee having trouble manufacturing new, non-defective RSV2s?

Anyone else have anything to add to this?

Thanks.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 115 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

February 11, 2008 2:00 PM

I'd be surprised if they were manufacturing any new RSV2s. It's kind of like trying to get a new 2005 car in 2008. You're not going to get it from the manufacturing line.

I would expect a replacement RSV2 to come from existing stock, which may be getting reworked if they also had the rotting insulation problem. 

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

February 13, 2008 1:58 PM

Hi All,

Just to clarify, the new RSV2s that are on their way from Hong Kong are fresh production. Unfortunately, the delay was due to shipping logistics.

RSV2 is still in demand worldwide and will still be produced in 2008.

For those of you waiting for a replacement RSV2, please be patient.  Your RSV2 will be sent to you as soon as we receive them.

Regards to all,

Gale Y 

February 13, 2008 3:53 PM

Well, there you have it, straight from the company's mouth.

There are new units being produced, and demand remains strong worldwide.

I was fooled by the occasional appearance of RSV2 stock at discount resellers. The appearance of some stock arriving at discount sellers is likely just a quirk of local supply and demand. I got my "Linens -n- Things" black and silver RSV2 variation through Woot.com for $80 last spring. 

February 13, 2008 9:29 PM

Gale Y said: Hi All, Just to clarify, the new RSV2s that are on their way from Hong Kong are fresh production. Unfortunately, the delay was due to shipping logistics. RSV2 is still in demand worldwide and will still be produced in 2008. For those of you waiting for a replacement RSV2, please be patient.  Your RSV2 will be sent to you as soon as we receive them. Regards to all, Gale Y 
Thanks for the information, Gail.  My 12 year old has been asking me about the status of the replacement RSV2 at least once a day for the past 2 months, so seeing your post will hopefully renew his patients for a while.  We will both continue to be patient and hope that WowWee can get those shipping problems resolved as soon as possible.

February 20, 2008 9:09 AM

Finally an answer.  I've had the same problem.  Promises that the robot will be shipped 'tomorrow' and after weeks of waiting, still nothing.  Why is it I can't get an answer from Wowwee support?

February 20, 2008 10:43 AM

The RSV2s have  finally arrived at our Toronto warehouse.

We will start shipping them out tomorrow.

If you were told by our customer service department that you were to receive a new RSV2, you should have it within the next 10 days.

Please get in touch with us if you have not received your replacement RSV2 within this time frame.

Thanks again for your patience!

Sincerely,

Gale Y

February 28, 2008 5:04 PM

Well, mine showed up today! Sady this one doesn't walk near as well as the original one did, but on the upside it does have the targeting feature on the remote that I thought was removed from all the newer units.

February 28, 2008 6:52 PM

That's good news for the folks who are waiting for a replacement for their ailing robots. 

Getting a remote with the targeting button doesn't sound like new stock to me. Everything I've heard states that the remotes were changed sometime during production to remove the targeting hardware. Rumor has it there was some patent entanglements for the tracking feature, and WowWee pulled the remote control part of the feature from the products sometime after the RoboRaptor was developed.

Maybe it was just a shelved remote that got paired up with a newly built robot.

There are multiple walking gates for the RSV2. Make sure you're in the same gate that you remembered from the previous RSV2 so that your comparisons are apples to apples. 

February 28, 2008 7:04 PM

well im having a NEW issue with my RsV2 it wont power on it was left sitting for a month or two no batteries in it and now it is totally dead any ideas why or have any of you guys had similar issues??????

February 29, 2008 7:27 PM

Well, all is not rosy.   This replacement robot will not open it's hands.  One other strange thing... It had a strip of orange cloth tied around one of the arm cables???  Wierd.

March 1, 2008 7:12 AM

TheTinkerer said: well im having a NEW issue with my RsV2 it wont power on it was left sitting for a month or two no batteries in it and now it is totally dead any ideas why or have any of you guys had similar issues??????
Did you check the batteries for warmth after leaving the power button in the 'on' position for a bit? The first thing to look for is the wire insulation problem; you could have a short in the power wires which will make your batts drain super quick and heat up. You might also notice flakes of insulation falling out of the torso if you twist and shake him a bit.

March 1, 2008 7:15 AM

JMDickson said: Well, all is not rosy.   This replacement robot will not open it's hands.  One other strange thing... It had a strip of orange cloth tied around one of the arm cables???  Wierd.

So you're saying the head will move to either direction but no motion in the fingers? Not a good sign indeed; did you try contacting WowWee again? If you don't want to do that (understandably given the delays so far; but really now!) are you game to open the torso and check the actuators? (post pix here?)

March 1, 2008 8:44 AM

That's right, the head moves normally.  It will extend the arm or reach down, but the fingers don't open.  Then it says 'Grip feedback failure'.

I would think it's the rack and pinion gear issue.  If that is the case, has anyone found a sturdier set of gears from McMaster-Carr or elsewhere?

March 1, 2008 9:06 AM

no, haven't tried looking. I have a couple of torn apart V2s, might be able to send you a spare part if you can find what is broken.

March 2, 2008 4:13 PM

JMDickson said: Well, all is not rosy.   This replacement robot will not open it's hands.  One other strange thing... It had a strip of orange cloth tied around one of the arm cables???  Wierd.

Wow (not WowWee)!  I wasn't going to post anything on this yet, but we just got the replacement robot on Friday.  After only about one hour of play on Friday night (after an hour of un-packaging, of course) and about on hour more on Saturday morning, we heard a "POP!" and now the left hand won't open and the right hand won't close!  And when I say "play", I mean careful, gentle, thankful-that-we-have-a-working-RSV2-that-doesn't-say-brain-batteries-low-all-the-time "play".  A couple times, I even stopped the play and inspected the batteries and found that, yes, they were NOT hot - not even warm!  We were in heaven!  Then the "POP!".  Now, the wondering: what should we do?  At this point, I figure the best thing to do is to call WowWee support on Monday morning and see what they have to say about this.  I'll keep you all posted.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 115 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window