WowWee RSV2 replacement delays due to defects

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
SJEinTexas
SJEinTexas's picture
WowWee RSV2 replacement delays due to defects

Has anyone on this forum been experiencing delays in getting a replacement RSV2 from WowWee?  My 12 year old son and I discovered that we had an RSV2 with defective wiring last December.  I called WowWee customer support and talked to Jason.  He seemed to be familiar with the problem and after telling him the serial number of our RSV2, told me that WowWee would send us a replacement.  So, on December 5th, 2007, we sent in the parts WowWee requested: the foot battery covers, remote control, arm wires, and pictures of the serial number and bad wiring.

On January 3rd, we got a message that a replacement RSV2 would be sent out on Friday, January 4th, so we were very happy.  Unfortunately, it was not sent on January 4th.  It was also not sent on the other dates that were later promised of January, 11th, 18th, and 25th.  Each time the date was delayed, the story changed (I could give details of each of the stories, but it would be a long, long post).  The current story is that WowWee customer support is waiting on a new shipment of RSV2s from Hong Kong because their current stock of replacements has been depleted by recent replacement shipments.

This brings up a number of concerns, such as, are there that many defective RSV2s out there that need to be replaced?  Or, is WowWee having trouble manufacturing new, non-defective RSV2s?

Anyone else have anything to add to this?

Thanks.

MrScott
MrScott's picture
I'd be surprised if they were

I'd be surprised if they were manufacturing any new RSV2s. It's kind of like trying to get a new 2005 car in 2008. You're not going to get it from the manufacturing line.

I would expect a replacement RSV2 to come from existing stock, which may be getting reworked if they also had the rotting insulation problem. 

Gale Y
Gale Y's picture
Hi All,

Hi All,

Just to clarify, the new RSV2s that are on their way from Hong Kong are fresh production. Unfortunately, the delay was due to shipping logistics.

RSV2 is still in demand worldwide and will still be produced in 2008.

For those of you waiting for a replacement RSV2, please be patient.  Your RSV2 will be sent to you as soon as we receive them.

Regards to all,

Gale Y 

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Well, there you have it,

Well, there you have it, straight from the company's mouth.

There are new units being produced, and demand remains strong worldwide.

I was fooled by the occasional appearance of RSV2 stock at discount resellers. The appearance of some stock arriving at discount sellers is likely just a quirk of local supply and demand. I got my "Linens -n- Things" black and silver RSV2 variation through Woot.com for $80 last spring. 

SJEinTexas
SJEinTexas's picture
Gale Y said: Hi All, Just to

Gale Y said: Hi All, Just to clarify, the new RSV2s that are on their way from Hong Kong are fresh production. Unfortunately, the delay was due to shipping logistics. RSV2 is still in demand worldwide and will still be produced in 2008. For those of you waiting for a replacement RSV2, please be patient.  Your RSV2 will be sent to you as soon as we receive them. Regards to all, Gale Y 

Thanks for the information, Gail.  My 12 year old has been asking me about the status of the replacement RSV2 at least once a day for the past 2 months, so seeing your post will hopefully renew his patients for a while.  We will both continue to be patient and hope that WowWee can get those shipping problems resolved as soon as possible.

JMDickson
JMDickson's picture
Finally an answer.  I've had

Finally an answer.  I've had the same problem.  Promises that the robot will be shipped 'tomorrow' and after weeks of waiting, still nothing.  Why is it I can't get an answer from Wowwee support?

Gale Y
Gale Y's picture
The RSV2s have  finally

The RSV2s have  finally arrived at our Toronto warehouse.

We will start shipping them out tomorrow.

If you were told by our customer service department that you were to receive a new RSV2, you should have it within the next 10 days.

Please get in touch with us if you have not received your replacement RSV2 within this time frame.

Thanks again for your patience!

Sincerely,

Gale Y

JMDickson
JMDickson's picture
Well, mine showed up today!

Well, mine showed up today! Sady this one doesn't walk near as well as the original one did, but on the upside it does have the targeting feature on the remote that I thought was removed from all the newer units.

MrScott
MrScott's picture
That's good news for the

That's good news for the folks who are waiting for a replacement for their ailing robots. 

Getting a remote with the targeting button doesn't sound like new stock to me. Everything I've heard states that the remotes were changed sometime during production to remove the targeting hardware. Rumor has it there was some patent entanglements for the tracking feature, and WowWee pulled the remote control part of the feature from the products sometime after the RoboRaptor was developed.

Maybe it was just a shelved remote that got paired up with a newly built robot.

There are multiple walking gates for the RSV2. Make sure you're in the same gate that you remembered from the previous RSV2 so that your comparisons are apples to apples. 

TheTinkerer
TheTinkerer's picture
well im having a NEW issue

well im having a NEW issue with my RsV2 it wont power on it was left sitting for a month or two no batteries in it and now it is totally dead any ideas why or have any of you guys had similar issues??????

JMDickson
JMDickson's picture
Well, all is not rosy.   This

Well, all is not rosy.   This replacement robot will not open it's hands.  One other strange thing... It had a strip of orange cloth tied around one of the arm cables???  Wierd.

milw
milw's picture
TheTinkerer said: well im

TheTinkerer said: well im having a NEW issue with my RsV2 it wont power on it was left sitting for a month or two no batteries in it and now it is totally dead any ideas why or have any of you guys had similar issues??????

Did you check the batteries for warmth after leaving the power button in the 'on' position for a bit? The first thing to look for is the wire insulation problem; you could have a short in the power wires which will make your batts drain super quick and heat up. You might also notice flakes of insulation falling out of the torso if you twist and shake him a bit.

milw
milw's picture
JMDickson said: Well, all is

JMDickson said: Well, all is not rosy.   This replacement robot will not open it's hands.  One other strange thing... It had a strip of orange cloth tied around one of the arm cables???  Wierd.

So you're saying the head will move to either direction but no motion in the fingers? Not a good sign indeed; did you try contacting WowWee again? If you don't want to do that (understandably given the delays so far; but really now!) are you game to open the torso and check the actuators? (post pix here?)

JMDickson
JMDickson's picture
That's right, the head moves

That's right, the head moves normally.  It will extend the arm or reach down, but the fingers don't open.  Then it says 'Grip feedback failure'.

I would think it's the rack and pinion gear issue.  If that is the case, has anyone found a sturdier set of gears from McMaster-Carr or elsewhere?

milw
milw's picture
no, haven't tried looking. I

no, haven't tried looking. I have a couple of torn apart V2s, might be able to send you a spare part if you can find what is broken.

SJEinTexas
SJEinTexas's picture
JMDickson said: Well, all is

JMDickson said: Well, all is not rosy.   This replacement robot will not open it's hands.  One other strange thing... It had a strip of orange cloth tied around one of the arm cables???  Wierd.

Wow (not WowWee)!  I wasn't going to post anything on this yet, but we just got the replacement robot on Friday.  After only about one hour of play on Friday night (after an hour of un-packaging, of course) and about on hour more on Saturday morning, we heard a "POP!" and now the left hand won't open and the right hand won't close!  And when I say "play", I mean careful, gentle, thankful-that-we-have-a-working-RSV2-that-doesn't-say-brain-batteries-low-all-the-time "play".  A couple times, I even stopped the play and inspected the batteries and found that, yes, they were NOT hot - not even warm!  We were in heaven!  Then the "POP!".  Now, the wondering: what should we do?  At this point, I figure the best thing to do is to call WowWee support on Monday morning and see what they have to say about this.  I'll keep you all posted.

Gale Y
Gale Y's picture
JMDickson said: Well, mine

JMDickson said: Well, mine showed up today! Sady this one doesn't walk near as well as the original one did, but on the upside it does have the targeting feature on the remote that I thought was removed from all the newer units.

Can you please give me the production code number found on the white sticker located in the remote controller- It should be a set of numbers followed by letters.

Thanks,

Gale Y 

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture
   Wow Wee do not give a  ...

Wow Wee do not give a  .... it has been bought with 65 mil $ to produce new products for better deals not to replace old ones and loose money ... So I gues we have to wait for the new investitors to recover  the investment and then ... MAYBE ... we'll se some real robots !

MrScott
MrScott's picture
I think that Gale's presence

I think that Gale's presence in, and attention to, this thread shows that WowWee does care.

Hopefully she will be able to sort this out for the people who still have problems with manufacturing defects in their RSV2. 

JMDickson
JMDickson's picture
The production code (from the

The production code (from the controller) is 34607WS

SJEinTexas
SJEinTexas's picture
SJEinTexas said: JMDickson

SJEinTexas said:

Wow (not WowWee)!  I wasn't going to post anything on this yet, but we just got the replacement robot on Friday.  After only about one hour of play on Friday night (after an hour of un-packaging, of course) and about on hour more on Saturday morning, we heard a "POP!" and now the left hand won't open and the right hand won't close!  And when I say "play", I mean careful, gentle, thankful-that-we-have-a-working-RSV2-that-doesn't-say-brain-batteries-low-all-the-time "play".  A couple times, I even stopped the play and inspected the batteries and found that, yes, they were NOT hot - not even warm!  We were in heaven!  Then the "POP!".  Now, the wondering: what should we do?  At this point, I figure the best thing to do is to call WowWee support on Monday morning and see what they have to say about this.  I'll keep you all posted.

Just to folllowup on this, I did call WowWee support on Monday morning, and after providing the production code for the replacement RSV2, they said they would send us another new one to replace the replacement.  All I can say at this point is that, although there have been some bumps in the road these past three months in dealing with these RSV2 issues, WowWee really seems to be trying to get this situation corrected in the best, consumer friendly manner possible right now.  So I would like to commend them and thank them.  If the new replacement works well, we'll be WowWee customers for life.

mberneis
mberneis's picture
I get my RSV2 1 1/2 years ago

I get my RSV2 1 1/2 years ago from Sharper Image. I played with it for a week and then not used it for a year. (I removed tha batteries).
When I wantd to use it again after a year with fresh batteries I always get the message 'Brain Bateries dead - powering down'
Do I have a faulty unit as well? - Where do I look up the Serial Number?

Thank you for your help

Michael

rybuger1
rybuger1's picture
Wow Wee removed the targeting

Wow Wee removed the targeting feature?! I guess that makes my "new" V2 a old-in-box V2. (I got my V2 on clearence at TRU this spring.)

And if you need any replacement parts, ask Milw, because my V2 had a broken axel right out of the box, and Milw replaced it.

Gale Y
Gale Y's picture
Hi Michael,

Hi Michael,

Can you please contact our customer service department directly(customersupport@wowwee.com), or enter this problem into our customer support page from our web site www.wowwee.com and someone will contact you. You can find the production code number in the remote controller or foot of the RSV2. It is a white stocker with numbers followed by letters.

We will do all we can to help resolve this problem.

Regards,
Gale
WowWee Canada Inc.

steve_cb88
steve_cb88's picture
Gale, Thank you so much for

Gale, Thank you so much for working with us! I also had the crumbling wire issue with my RSV2. I recieved instructions as to what to send back to wowwee. I recieved a phone call from wowwee support last Friday 9/12/08 requesting confirmation on my mailing address. That was pretty quick!

9/19/2008 I recieved my new RSV2 today!

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson's picture
My unit is dead even after

My unit is dead even after multiple battery replacement. Serial number is 31205WSHA. I have not opened it up. Is this covered by the replacement program?

Gale Y
Gale Y's picture
Hi Mark,

Hi Mark,

Please contact our customer service 1-800-310-3033 (U.S. and Canada).
They will ask you a few questions regarding your unit and where it was purchased.

If you have a copy of your purchase receipt that will be helpful too.

I will follow your case with customer service as well.

Regards,
Gale Y

Ryan C
Ryan C's picture
Hi Gale, I also have that

Hi Gale, I also have that darn wiring insulation problem. I posted my problem on you support page on the website. I bought my robot in South Africa, so I hope that it is not a problem. It says on the box warranty void if sold in the USA and Canada. So it was NOT sold there, so I presume it is valid? I had the robot only 2 days or so when it died. On opening it one could clearing see the wire insulation crumbled off - never seen anything that bad before!!

Please could you follow up my support query. I really do appreciate what you have done for others, and hope you can help me too.

Many, many thanks.

Garould
Garould's picture
ITEM# 8091 is also the same

ITEM# 8091 is also the same problem was bought at radio shack in Goshen Indiana and does not work. batteries get hot, this is caused by faulty factory wiring... in short, this company has been selling at great expense a bad product, my ph# is 859-554-5672 my address is 137 rose street apt.113 Lexington Kentucky 40507 and my email address is geo_1964@yahoo.com this could be a fire safety issue with your toy's so seeings how my wife manages a TOY'S-R-US in this area i'll go ahead and get the word out for you or you can contact me for replacement information...have a nice day Garould

MrScott
MrScott's picture
my wife manages a TOY'S-R-US

my wife manages a TOY'S-R-US in this area i'll go ahead and get the word out for you or you can contact me for replacement information

So you're saying ToysRUs has access to new RSV2 units?

That would be great, since the rest of the world appears to have run out shortly after WowWee declared them discontinued last year.

Meanwhile, the process for getting a replacement directly from WowWee is to contact their customer services and to mention the RSV2 insulation problem. You'll need proof of purchase from a WowWee approved merchant.

The information is just above your (3) posts to this thread.

MrScott
MrScott's picture
I don't work for WowWee.

I don't work for WowWee. Never did.

My comments were quite serious.
If you know of a way to get replacement or new RSV2 robots, please share. As the owner (not manufacturer) of an RSV2, I'd be very interested in knowing if there is still a source for them.

We, the members of RoboCommunity, identified this crumbling insulation problem a couple of years ago. My RSV2 is blessedly not (yet) affected. There are many threads here in the community with things to look for, and ways to repair the problem.

Several community members have worked directly with WowWee to obtain free replacements for their defective RSV2s. The information I pointed out to you in the post from Oct '08 is from a WowWee employee telling folks how to follow up with customer service.

How old is your RSV2? Our community members seem to show that there was an early batch that wasn't affected, a batch in the middle that suffers the problem, and a later production that doesn't have the problem.

As a community we'd like to hear how you came across your RSV2, and see whether the problem is affecting more of the production run as time goes on.

Garould
Garould's picture
Garould mine is item NO.8091

Garould mine is item NO.8091,I bought him at radio shack in 2007 in Goshen Indiana, played with him a few times and he then had his batteries removed and he sat on a shelf with the rest of my collection last week i got him down and installed new batteries this is when I found out the sad truth, that my RSV2 had a big problem...

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Auctions seem to be the only

Auctions seem to be the only remaining source, and as you've said, those are usually asking ridiculous prices. I was hoping you'd found a cache of product at a webstore or brick&mortar location.

You said you got yours at Radio Shack. Recently? Haven't seen any on the shelves in the NorthEast, ever.

Just to clarify who you'll bump into here at RoboCommunity. It is a group of robot enthusiasts discussing robots they own. It's not WowWee's site. It is run by Capable Networks, which runs several such discussion sites for various themes.

WowWee does point folks here as a discussion group for their products, but it's not the official channel for contacting WowWee Customer Services.

You may see a WowWee employee chiming in from time to time. For example, Gayle was in this thread two years ago. By checking her profile (click on the picture next to the post), you can see that she still stops by. She was logged into the site as recently as two months ago.

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Here's a link to a thread in

Here's a link to a thread in which I posted a gallery of pics of some of my older bots.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/13148/Toy-Robots-of-the-70-80-...

MrScott
MrScott's picture
I see the answers to my

I see the answers to my questions snuck in just ahead of when I posted.

Since you bought in 2007, it's not an end of production sample. Does yours have the green targeting "laser" on the remote? That's one way to identify an early production robot. They dropped the tracking function from the remote sometime in mid-production.

Your poor bot follows the same story we've seen here in the community. It worked great. It got put on the shelf. The wiring self destructed on the shelf. It doesn't seem to a be run-time breakdown, either. Some folks have bought old stock and had bad wiring right out of the old box.

We never got an official explanation in the community, but we're guessing a batch of substandard wire got into the production line, and the subpar insulation gets brittle with age. When the robot starts moving, the insulation crumbles off the wires, and the wires can short together.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
Garould said:

Garould said:
they are all over Ebay for ridiculous prices I think I last saw one for $470.oo

I wonder if they come with a fire insurance for that price.Undecided

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
It's always good to hear the

It's always good to hear the real deal from real owners.

juanchi104
juanchi104's picture
My RSV2 also have that

My RSV2 also have that problem. It haves the "crumbling insulation" on the feets and on the back part of it, and I still wonder why wowwee maked these robots with so bad wires? Its only with the RSV2 because I have the V1 and it doesnt have that problem. I still loking for new wires to replace all the "crumbling insulation"

MrScott
MrScott's picture
The same reason Chrysler

The same reason Chrysler built bad brakes.

The same reason Graco built strollers that amputate children's fingertips.

The same reason that Microsoft built Xbox 360s with the red ring of death.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
Yeah, but WE, the consumer,

Yeah, but WE, the consumer, say : don't keep making one mistake after another at our expense and to your profitability -- or we might just wake up and stop being a bunch of suckers who keep buying from you!

Garould
Garould's picture
The V1's don't have the

The V1's don't have the problems they work fine so far, but they are not pulling the same current...

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
NanoTek said:

NanoTek said:
Yeah, but WE, the consumer, say : don't keep making one mistake after another at our expense and to your profitability -- or we might just wake up and stop being a bunch of suckers who keep buying from you!

I always wanted to say that,  Laughing so, there you have it!

MrScott
MrScott's picture
That "too much power"

That "too much power" explanation doesn't jive with the samples of bots that come out of the box with bad insulation. Those had 0 runtime hours, so no heating of the wires.

Seems to be an aging problem, not a heat problem.

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Not necessarily. It means

Not necessarily. It means they got a wire supplier that slipped them some substandard plastic insulation that got brittle with age. It's not like WowWee fabricates the wire themselves.

Maybe they got a deal on "seconds", and should have known better. Maybe they just got ripped off by their supplier.

I'm sure they didn't have a business plan that called for offering free, out of warranty replacements for faulty products.

Have you contacted WowWee Customer Services? Are they still offering the free replacements they were providing in 08?

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
MrScott said:

MrScott said:
I'm sure they didn't have a business plan that called for offering free, out of warranty replacements for faulty products.

If anyone finds this statement to make a lot of sense -- think againWink

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
@Garould - Just wanted to let

@Garould - Just wanted to let you know that we'd like to keep this discussion "family friendly" if possible. We understand your anger and frustrations and don't mind if you voice them here, but some of your language isn't entirely appropriate for the community :) (Thus the deleted post.)

Michelle C
Michelle C's picture
Anyone who has a Robosapien

Anyone who has a Robosapien V2 with crumbling feet wires can contact WowWee customer service if you have a receipt for the item from an authorized retailer, regardless of when you purchased the item.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
Michelle C said: if you have

Michelle C said: if you have a receipt for the item from an authorized retailer, regardless of when you purchased the item.

For anyone who lost their WowWee item receipt, checkout the Robosapien Fire Hazard video on YouTube -- that's his receipt...

steve_cb88
steve_cb88's picture
Awhile ago, I found my RSV2

Awhile ago, I found my RSV2 to have the wire problem. I read what Gale Y had to say and followed her instructions. The reciept I had for it was totally faded and couldn't be read. Wowwee contacted me back with instructions (which included mailing them certain parts from the original unit). They then sent me a new RSV2 that has operated flawlessly with no problems and NO wire defects.
Now if you read back a few entries, Michelle C Tells us they are STILL replacing the defective units. (Mine was replaced for free). Wowwee manufacturing facility got sent some bad wire harnesses (which is contracted out to another company). They have acknoledged the problem and are making ammends for it. It is just one of those things that happen in this unperfect world.
Now while I am here, I am going to ask that the due respect be given to our moderators AND members. research and aim before firing.
Thank you

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
steve_cb88 said: It is just

steve_cb88 said: It is just one of those things that happen in this unperfect world.

research and aim before firing. 

I suggest you follow your own advice

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
That's Tony Stark (Robert

That's Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) in the movie Iron Man :-)

Pages