Robopanda Hacks and mods

281 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Hey Sevik, did you end up buying one of these?

milw
milw's picture

Got my SPI flashes yesterday! Now to hook one up and play with the Prop SPI. Did yours arrive Nocturnal?

sevik
sevik's picture

Nocturnal said:
Hey Sevik, did you end up buying one of these?

Two of them, just in case :))

But they are still not arrived. Must arrive on this or next week.

sevik
sevik's picture

I'm slowed with decoder due to reallife work, but hope to continue on holidays.

For now I played with real frames from cartridge - seems there are some interaction of lower bands with last nibbles of frame, but exact relationships is not clear.

I have repeated one original frame multiple times - spectra seems like to original.

Tried to include only some bands - spectra changed (shifted or something like this) and original spektra restored after adding last nibbles.

sevik
sevik's picture

about SPI - I have some at45db321 but still not tried to connect it. But according to traces - it must work.

I'm not tested 24 bit addresses - but teoretically full 16M cartridge can be done :))

milw
milw's picture

Would this one (Xilinx FPGA dev board) be usable?

sevik
sevik's picture

it's very small device - XC2S50.

spi sniffer/spi-rom emulator teoretically can be done in this size, but not SD-reader or some sort of microcontroller.

You can use external microcontroller to interface with hardware emu in fpga and read/write DRAM contents.

My current design uses ~40% of 600k Xilinx...

sevik
sevik's picture

Really spi access is not too fast in robopanda - ~ 100us/access maximum, so it can be logged with microcontroller based sniffer.

With 4byte log per access (3 bytes address 1 byte length) you need
10000*4*10 = 400000 bps bandwidth for continious logging or 40kb of RAM per second for storing.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

milw said:
Got my SPI flashes yesterday! Now to hook one up and play with the Prop SPI. Did yours arrive Nocturnal?

Out of stock... back ordered... 5-6 working days... blah blah. If I don't have them soon I'm going to have to complain. 

sevik
sevik's picture

Heh, boards arrived today.

But there is a problem - there are no direct configuration eeproms for xilinx, they are configured by Altera FLEXes...

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Any chance you can provide a highres shot of the board?

sevik
sevik's picture

sevik
sevik's picture

there are 2 boards:
one used as devboard by someone :))
second seems to be used as spare parts source :))

there are:
4 Xilinx XCV2000E
2 Altera Flex10KE
2 ethernets (one connected to "controller", second to "peripherial", but on used board first ethernet connected to periph too by wires)
rs232
v35
T1 interface
3.3V SDRAM DIMM socket
parallel flash socket (and 4 of am29dl323 flashes)
places for sdram chips
sockets for altera confg proms with proms
2 pll circuits (pll + zero delay buffer in each)
2 1.8V linear regulators
watchdog circuit (seems to by disabled by wires)
sockets + proms for altera
sockets for xilinx proms
header for xilinx prom jtag
header for FPGA jtag
usb socket (on used board some chip connected to it by air wires near second flex)

Seems that it need 2.5V, 3.3V and 5V power supply (5V used for PHYs, 2.5 for flexes and one of 1.8V regulators, 3.3 for second 1.8V regulator and many devices on board)

I hope to get used board working :)) But xilinx proms will cost another 100$, so will try to get it configured through SelectIMAP or Slave serial from SD on current board :))

sevik
sevik's picture

There are no programming headers for altera proms, and its jtag pins seems to be unconnected

the last board available on ebay has not flexes seems. (Seller said that it has 3 boards in total)

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Well I finally found out what was going on with my delivery, it appears they have been trying to deliver to the wrong address (packages is address correctly, driver is just lost). According to the online system, they have been attempting to deliver for the last 8 business days. Since I only received a notification today, they must have been going to the wrong address and someone has now pointed them to the correct location.

So if all goes well, I should have my new SPI memory chips tomorrow.

sevik
sevik's picture

heh :))
lets guess who is noccy42 from australia... :))

Ended: Jun-03-08 11:00:05 PDT
Shipping costs:
US $15.00
UPS Ground
Service to United States
(more services)
Ships to: United States, Europe, Asia, Canada, Australia
Item location: Bay Area, United States
History: 7 bids
Winning bidder: noccy42( 19Feedback score is 10 to 49)

sevik
sevik's picture

powered my boards today :))

flexes configured, phy leds blinking :))

xilinxes is not configured, seems proms need to be present, will try to connect JTAG and see what is there :))

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

A new Robopanda hacking article was published today that you all might like to see, courtesy of Nocturnal:

WowWee Robopanda's RFID Friend

milw
milw's picture

A question for Sevik and Nocturnal- did you find pull-up resistors to be necessary when hooking to the cartridge SPI?

sevik
sevik's picture

No, only small capacitor on SI line for noise/crosstalk cancelling (I have a long cable from panda to emu).

sevik
sevik's picture

heh

at least jtag chain with virtexes alive :))

JTAG connector pinout:

1 +5
2 GND
3 NC?
4 TCK
5 NC?
6 TDO
7 TDI
8 TMS

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I deny everything!

On another note, my SPI chips are finally here. Now I just have to knock together a programmer.

milw
milw's picture

And I've got my Prop. board set up for SPI now, and I'm reading the same data out of the white cartridge as your original dump, Nocturnal. Next is to write the programmer.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Nice to have confirmation that the dumps are accurate (at least the white one), I'd hate to think we've been working with scrambled data all this time.

sevik
sevik's picture

I have running emulator with both nocturnals images many times :))

So at least in significant parts images are correct :))

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Don't you hate it when you glue something down, only to discover one of the wires is just a little bit too short.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Dang it! You cut that wire three times, and it's still too short!

This is where I'd be soldering an extension on, and using a little heat shrink tubing to cover my sins.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Unfortunately, I don't have any heatshrink small enough. Electrical tape might work, otherwise I should be able to melt through the glue enough to re-solder the joint. Fortunately most of the glue is under the join, not over it.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

There's that liquid insulation for sealing up things you can't get shrink tubing on.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Hmmm.... I'll have to see if I can find a source inside Australia. I'd like to give it a go on the wire rot in one of my V2's.

Pages