OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 699088.0
January 28, 2008 10:13 AM

Categories: News, Rumors and Gossip Other WowWee Robots

Rating (2 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Peter Redmer

Administrator

This little mutt is certainly the alpha of the pack as he boldly steps up to RoboQuad. Watch this nail-biting deathmatch of intelligent robotic design facing off with cute canine aggression - all to familiar 8-bit tunes!

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 39 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 Next »

January 28, 2008 10:49 AM

I think Puppy needs a FTW T Shirt :)

The sound effects are wonderful. Gonna go dust off my Nintendo now. I like the "nail biting deathmatch" part too. Makes me think "Sunday, Sunday Sunday! We'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge!" 

Watch out, don't step in the anthropomorphization.

January 28, 2008 10:58 AM

Very humorous. Did you happen to see this related video on the YouTube page for the above movie?

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

January 28, 2008 11:02 AM

The other video is good too.  I'm sure this will spawn a legion of "robots vs. pet" material!

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

January 28, 2008 11:39 AM

Funny video's, Seems like puppy wins hands down, Now lets what I can come up with for defense against those puppys???, The only trouble is I will be had up for cruelity, D**n.

People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Robotic madness http://robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/

January 28, 2008 12:12 PM

4mem8,

It would take a bit of work to make RQ water resistant, but a built in squirt gun for defense against puppies could be fun. Sealing off the PCB's would be fairly simple, just brush on some acrylic or epoxy paint. The extreme PC cooling guys have been doing that kind of thing for years to protect against condensation and leaks. Not entirely sure how to seal up the motors though.

Another option could be Silly String or a variant thereof. Like the Spiderman kids toys that strap onto the wrist and shoot "webbing". No need to waterproof the robot then.

Took me a little bit to think up something that wouldn't fall under cruelty rules. First thought was a taser...

January 28, 2008 1:49 PM

This is just the excuse I have been waiting for to buy a puppy.

RoboGuide - Your guide to hacking all things WowWee

January 28, 2008 2:42 PM

Jeeze nocturnal!

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

January 28, 2008 6:46 PM

Squirt guns work better against cats, I'd try the flame thrower cattle prod pepper spray hypersonic whistle against the canines!

January 28, 2008 8:01 PM

Has anyone seen the dog biscuit shooting machine? I can't seem to find a link for it though. Basically, the dog presses a button on the front of the machine, and a dog biscuit shoots out across the floor for the dog to chase and eat.

Combining something like that with RoboQuad would be interesting. 

RoboGuide - Your guide to hacking all things WowWee

January 28, 2008 8:25 PM

I love those video's. My 2 small dogs just looks at it and turns away like its just another robot running around, although they are old too not puppies. GWJax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

January 28, 2008 8:28 PM

I know some dogs, of advanced age, still go nuts chasing the reflected glint off of a watch face. I expect a robo-light-spot could be used to drive the 'ol hounddog bug nuts.

Same thing with cats and laser pointers. Their little brains are hard wired for pursuit.

Here kitty kitty kitty.... 

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

January 28, 2008 10:07 PM

I love all of the above suggestions guys, Keep em coming. Another suggestion would be to tie a small  rodent [stuffed of course] to roboqaud with a piece of twine so the cat is preocupied with it and not RQ.

People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

January 28, 2008 10:16 PM

A non-stuffed (small) rodent tethered to the robot could be entertaining as well. Course that goes back to the cruelty thing...

January 28, 2008 10:29 PM

Could lace it with catnip??

January 29, 2008 9:43 AM

The catnip laced toy idea would be fun.  I bet the cat would stalk the robot to get as close to the catnip as possible (but of course, depends on the cat.)  That would be fun. 

Pete 

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 39 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window