OUR NETWORK:TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1390290.0
January 23, 2008 08:00 AM
Rating (1 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

humbledogg

Hi guys Im not dissn woo wee or anything, but has anybody seen Pleo.... I think the AI is pretty cool... Just wondering what you all think , would you  purchase one....Im pretty intrested and thinking of purchasing one.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 30 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

January 23, 2008 8:01 AM

Im making history baby!!

January 23, 2008 8:55 AM

The community has some thread history with it.

That's all I can offer on it, though. 

http://www.robocommunity.com/search?search=pleo 

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

January 23, 2008 12:48 PM

I've read numerous comments on Pleo and seen 1 or 2 videos about it, heres what i know:

1. It's personality grows and develops according to how well you've treated it and spent time with it

2. after you have spent enough time with it, it will have its own unique personality, which means nobody else will have the same one as you.

3. I WANT ONE!!!!

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

January 23, 2008 2:23 PM

1) at this point in time it does not have that functionality, they are supposed to be releasing a patch in the near future to enable it.

2) see 1.

3) So do I, but its not available here. 

RoboGuide - Your guide to hacking all things WowWee

January 23, 2008 2:42 PM

I really wanted a  real dog but we cant get one until we move in our house, which is like another 2 years and cats trigger my allergies so this is perfect. Lol I just ordered one, I hope that LifeOs update still happens or I gonna be choked!! Ill let you guys know how it goes!!!(crossing my fingers)

January 23, 2008 3:32 PM

If I had lots od disposable income, I would certainly buy it, but I am not that wowed by it so far.  I have been following pleo's development for over a year and the finished product is exactly what I feared: slow and boring.  If it could actually walk around at a speed noticeable to the human eye and was more interactive with its environment instead of just the "nobodys petting me: i'm sad, I'm being pet: i'm happy" then it would be worth its $350 price tag.  When they're down to $100 to $150, then we'll talk...

www.teachtechno.com

January 23, 2008 7:39 PM

Yeah all those negatives you ve listed, Ugobe is suppose to be working on a lifeOS update. The company said when they released him, his lifeOS wasnt fully complete yet. Its suppose to come out sometime after 2008.

January 23, 2008 11:11 PM

Sometime after 2008.... so....  Welcome to 2015, where your dog can finally be a functioning part of the family! 

I think that if it can, or could do all that they have lead on about... then it might be worth it in the long run.  But, for now I am siding with Grandlarseny37

When the price point goes down, and they show the support they have promised, then I will give it a more serious consideration.  I would not want to buy it and then it be one of those items that the company sets aside for bigger and better things... leaving all of the people that were counting on those future promises, simply out in the cold!

January 24, 2008 7:08 PM

Hey guys I found this review about Pleo , this should answer your 350 dollar question..

www.robotsrule.com/pleo/2007/12/pleo-theres-baby-dinosaur-on-my-lap.html

January 24, 2008 7:52 PM

I don't like how it's $300.  I might look into it in 'bout a year when it's more around the $100-$200 range.  Right now I think I am happy with Roboquad.

Keep the robotic dreams,
-BG
http://www.robocommunity.com/article/12811/Cool-Programs-To-Use-For-Roboquad-...

January 24, 2008 10:42 PM

Ok fine... it is cute!  But still... If I were to decide to get one... I think I would wait it out a bit and see how it comes along.  If the update comes out and everything like they anticipate, then great!

I can see where it would be a nice "Alternative" pet for younger kids.  I would rather buy that than a hampster or bunny that might not work out so well for a kid.  And  if the updates  add any educational value, then all the better.

... though... only time will tell! 

January 25, 2008 5:12 AM

I'm afraid it does not do anything for me, Not my type of bot.

People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Robotic madness http://robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/

January 25, 2008 12:29 PM

It's definitely a "cute" kind of robot.  I have seen some videos, and I think it's pretty neat, but kind of expensive. 

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

January 25, 2008 3:47 PM

They say that the amount of technology put into him is alot , and that  the asking price is actually pretty cheap. I know not everybody can afford to shell out 350 bones...But Ive been saving, cant wait he should be here by monday. I wonder if he will try and interact with my RS Media...Smile

January 25, 2008 5:39 PM

I agree with 4mem8.  It's plainly not my type of robot.

I'm sorry humledogg your RS Media only interacts with other Wow Wee robots.  Pleo won't interact with him.  Sorry.

Keep the robotic dreams,
-BG
http://www.robocommunity.com/article/12811/Cool-Programs-To-Use-For-Roboquad-...

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 30 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window