What you think of Pleo

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
What you think of Pleo

Hi guys Im not dissn woo wee or anything, but has anybody seen Pleo.... I think the AI is pretty cool... Just wondering what you all think , would you  purchase one....Im pretty intrested and thinking of purchasing one.

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
       Im making history baby

Im making history baby!!

MrScott
MrScott's picture
The community has some thread

The community has some thread history with it.

That's all I can offer on it, though. 

http://www.robocommunity.com/search?search=pleo 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
1) at this point in time it

1) at this point in time it does not have that functionality, they are supposed to be releasing a patch in the near future to enable it.

2) see 1.

3) So do I, but its not available here. 

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
I really wanted a  real dog

I really wanted a  real dog but we cant get one until we move in our house, which is like another 2 years and cats trigger my allergies so this is perfect. Lol I just ordered one, I hope that LifeOs update still happens or I gonna be choked!! Ill let you guys know how it goes!!!(crossing my fingers)

Grandlarseny37
Grandlarseny37's picture
If I had lots od disposable

If I had lots od disposable income, I would certainly buy it, but I am not that wowed by it so far.  I have been following pleo's development for over a year and the finished product is exactly what I feared: slow and boring.  If it could actually walk around at a speed noticeable to the human eye and was more interactive with its environment instead of just the "nobodys petting me: i'm sad, I'm being pet: i'm happy" then it would be worth its $350 price tag.  When they're down to $100 to $150, then we'll talk...

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
Yeah all those negatives you

Yeah all those negatives you ve listed, Ugobe is suppose to be working on a lifeOS update. The company said when they released him, his lifeOS wasnt fully complete yet. Its suppose to come out sometime after 2008.

Kadeiqus
Kadeiqus's picture
Sometime after 2008.... so...

Sometime after 2008.... so....  Welcome to 2015, where your dog can finally be a functioning part of the family! 

I think that if it can, or could do all that they have lead on about... then it might be worth it in the long run.  But, for now I am siding with Grandlarseny37

When the price point goes down, and they show the support they have promised, then I will give it a more serious consideration.  I would not want to buy it and then it be one of those items that the company sets aside for bigger and better things... leaving all of the people that were counting on those future promises, simply out in the cold!

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
Hey guys I found this review

Hey guys I found this review about Pleo , this should answer your 350 dollar question..

www.robotsrule.com/pleo/2007/12/pleo-theres-baby-dinosaur-on-my-lap.html

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
I don't like how it's $300. 

I don't like how it's $300.  I might look into it in 'bout a year when it's more around the $100-$200 range.  Right now I think I am happy with Roboquad.

Kadeiqus
Kadeiqus's picture
Ok fine... it is cute!  But

Ok fine... it is cute!  But still... If I were to decide to get one... I think I would wait it out a bit and see how it comes along.  If the update comes out and everything like they anticipate, then great!

I can see where it would be a nice "Alternative" pet for younger kids.  I would rather buy that than a hampster or bunny that might not work out so well for a kid.  And  if the updates  add any educational value, then all the better.

... though... only time will tell! 

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture
I'm afraid it does not do

I'm afraid it does not do anything for me, Not my type of bot.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
It's definitely a "cute" kind

It's definitely a "cute" kind of robot.  I have seen some videos, and I think it's pretty neat, but kind of expensive. 

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
They say that the amount of

They say that the amount of technology put into him is alot , and that  the asking price is actually pretty cheap. I know not everybody can afford to shell out 350 bones...But Ive been saving, cant wait he should be here by monday. I wonder if he will try and interact with my RS Media...Smile

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
I agree with 4mem8.  It's

I agree with 4mem8.  It's plainly not my type of robot.

I'm sorry humledogg your RS Media only interacts with other Wow Wee robots.  Pleo won't interact with him.  Sorry.

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture
I have to agree that Pleo is

I have to agree that Pleo is slow, boring and overpriced.  I guess being technologically advanced doesn’t necessarily translate into a good product.   And even if its software’s upgradeable, its still limited by what the hardware can do.     

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture
What’s more, nobody mentioned

What’s more, nobody mentioned the defect with the first batch of Pleos and how Uglobe has dealt with it.  Apparently the 'paint' on the body eyelids and teeth start to wear off within 24 hours - and the more you touch it, the worse it gets.  This is a huge problem considering 'touch' is one of the main ways you communicate with it.  The white paint on the teeth apparently chips very quickly especially when using the training leaf that comes with the thing.  Uglobe claims they are working on the paint issue, but it is only cosmetic, and not covered under the warranty.  They also say the paint wear gives the Pleo a more natural look.  As for dealing with the problem, they suggest (are you ready for this) using baby powder on the outside of Pleo so the paint doesn't wear off from touch as quickly.  As for the teeth, they suggest picking up some white model paint to reapply the color, which according to people in the newsgroups doesn't last either. You can see Uglob's suggestions for the defect here: http://www.pleoworld.com/support/faq?section=skin 

Can you imagine spending $350, then having to deal with this???  Uglobe needs to stop making excuses about an obvious defect and take care of its customers.  When you consider the 2 years this thing was delayed, there's really no excuse for it.   Personally I wouldn't touch the thing (literally) until all the bugs are worked out (and the price drops too)...   

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture
--

--

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
Pleo was not delayed for 2

Pleo was not delayed for 2 years. It was annouced as a future product in Feb 2006 (so just under 2 years ago). The first release date was supposed to be March 2007. I don't disagree with what you said, just not a fan of inaccurate information.  

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
My final word is that pleo

My final word is that pleo doesn't interest me.  Not my cup or robotic tea.

I am leaving it there.

I am now pulling out of this thread.

BG out!

Later! 

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
Your such a hater Robo BG!!

Your such a hater Robo BG!! And dont say your pulling out of this thread cause I guarantee , you have something else to hate about! Hater! Maybe try thinking outside the box!!

Grandlarseny37
Grandlarseny37's picture
I officially retract my

I officially retract my earlier post.  Pleo rules, hands down

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture
I predict Pleo will be

I predict Pleo will be 'extinct' within a couple of years.......and if I'm lucky I'll find a used one in a thrift store for $5.00 (with little or no paint on it).....

Grandlarseny37
Grandlarseny37's picture
if it goes "extinct" it

if it goes "extinct" it certainly won't take a couple years, it will only take a few months.  However, I don't believe it will be, but the price is going to have to be lowered for pleo to really take off

humbledogg
humbledogg's picture
Ill find a roboboa when I go

Ill find a roboboa when I go to throw out my garbage, LOL

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Some of my best parts come

Some of my best parts come from the "free" pile at the curb after yard sales.

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture
humbledogg said: Ill find a

humbledogg said: Ill find a roboboa when I go to throw out my garbage, LOL

what a mean to say about roboboa.  i wouldn't be surprised if if it bit you after a comment like that.....

moo cow
moo cow's picture
hey i would love to have a

hey i would love to have a pleo but sadly it is way out of my price range. im waiting for it to go down a bit.

P
L
E
O
O
E
L
P

pleo2010
pleo2010's picture
well pleo is still here and

well pleo is still here and getting better :D