A word about Moderation and Administration

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrScott
MrScott's picture
A word about Moderation and Administration

This is just a general information thread. Its purpose is to help members understand some of the general mechanics and operations behind Moderation or Administration actions that they may see in current or past forum threads.

If you find yourself asking "I wonder why....", consider the following

Not all of a member's community related activities are visible in the forums.

Administrative actions taken by Capable Networks are based on all of a member's community related activities.

The Terms of Use and Forum Posting Guidelines are there for a reason. Please adhere to them.

Moderators are not Administrators.

Moderators have volunteered to handle calls for "cleanup on aisle 7".

Your help in not making messes in aisle 7 is appreciated by the moderators.

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
Um ok thank you we will try

Um ok thank you we will try to ablige.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture
You know what I never liked

You know what I never liked about being a moderator? Nobody ever says thank you (they usually just abuse you), for volunteering and having to deal with all the cleaning up messes you didn't make.

So thank you Mr Scott and Milw. 

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
Yea it must be a hard job (im

Yea it must be a hard job (im not being sarcastic) people mostly trash you or they stop posting cause they are scared of you.

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture
I just wanted to way in here,

I just wanted to way in here, so that everyone knows...  I am 100% behind the moderators in this.  One of our forum policies is that we do not permit questioning moderator decisions in public.  If you have a question as to why someone was banned or why a particular decision was made, ask the person who made the decision directly via private message.  These discussions are inappropriate for the open boards.

If you do not feel comfortable approaching one of our moderators directly (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't - both are superb people, who are both friendly and helpful), then feel free to contact me.

Lastly, I want to echo Nocturnal in expressing my heart-felt thanks to both milw and MrScott for their many hours of work on the site.  We truly could not run this community without them.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
I will echo that as well -

I will echo that as well - thank you milw and MrScott for all of your hard work.

Pete

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture
Having done Moderator duty in

Having done Moderator duty in various places in the past, I too would like to express thanks to our Mods here. If y'all are ever here, or I'm ever there, first round's on me.

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
Yeah thanks guys.  It has to

Yeah thanks guys.  It has to be annoying checking up on us every day!Laughing

Sarita
Sarita's picture
Banning should be based on

Banning should be based on the things which are visible on the forum, that way it would be more easy to understand the reason for banning. I still do not understand why Richardv2 is banned. Jeff also is weird these days, he used to be more friendly to the people before.

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
I think Jeff is just trying

I think Jeff is just trying to do his job correctly and efficiently.

Oh and here is a quote from Jeff in another post.  This will answer why Rich was banned.

--------------------------------------

RichardV2 lied and misrepresented his way back into the community as Robospear.  RichardV2 was banned because he repeatedly violated a whole raft of forum policies.  We cannot allow him to simply change his name, reregister, and lie his way back in.  Robospear has also been banned.

It is important for the membership to understand that we have the administrative tools to detect and deal with those who misrepresent themselves in this way.  If you do it, you will be banned.

I'm sorry that we have to spend time talking about these things.  Let's get back to the fun of talking ROBOTS!

All the best to all of you.  This is a great place, and we're working hard to keep it that way by protecting it from the bad apples that occasionally and inevitably rise up among us.

Rock on!

--Jeff 

-------------------------------------

Rock on to you too Jeff!

-BG 

MrScott
MrScott's picture
I really was hoping this

I really was hoping this thread would stay generic, and not become a dumping ground for

"Why did such and such get done?"

Jeff all but declared that there will be no public discussion of these specific decisions.

I'll leave it to him to trim down (and lock?) this thread if it continues to spiral off.

I will add one more generic reference to a specific service of the community.

Private Mail. Don't abuse it. It can get you under the adminstrators' microscope.

Let it be, folks. Let it be. 

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
Why richardv2 got banned

Why richardv2 got banned really isn't out buisness.  Let's just end this at mods and ads we love you rock on and keep cleaning up whatever messes on isle 7 occur.  Later people!

Sarita
Sarita's picture
Well, it does not matter

Well, it does not matter anymore. I do not have time for a nazi forum like this. Goodbye.

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
Not appropriate Sarita.  This

Not appropriate Sarita.  This is not a nazi forum.  That is an absolutely horrible thing to say.  If I were a moderator I would consider banning you.  Bite your toung or shoot a hole in it.  This is a happy positive robot discussion site not an insult everything you see.

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture
I agree BG, Totally

I agree BG, Totally inappropriate Sarita Goodbye.

RobosapienV2-4mem8
As a moderator on two other

As a moderator on two other robotic site's I would also like to congratulate the moderators on this site ,well done.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Just poking in and I agree

Just poking in and I agree with you all GREAT job Mod's, keep it up.

ps, by the way could correctt my spelling? LOL just kidding. You guys are great. GWJax

RobosapienV2-4mem8
Take it up with MrScott I

Take it up with MrScott I.robot114 and see if you are in the clear!!

MrScott
MrScott's picture
It was a warning. Well earned

It was a warning. Well earned and discussed between moderators.

Changed behavior means no more concerns.

Not quite sure why we're having this discussion. 

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture
The mods will not hold

The mods will not hold grudges, if that's what you're worried about.  However, I agree with 4mem8, please ask mods these kinds of questions directly.  The question you raise is a personal one that doesn't need to be aired in front of the whole community.

Thanks, all. 

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture
No worries, man!

No worries, man!

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Or... Miss.

Or... Miss.

RobosapienV2-4mem8
Just to change subject I

Just to change subject I.robot114 what are your interests in robotics? any mods or are you just content with WowWee robots as they are?

MrScott
MrScott's picture
Just to _not_ change the

Just to _not_ change the subject in this rather subject specific, pinned thread about administration and moderation mechanics.

Can this thread please be kept to just that.... questions and answers in the general area of administration and moderation duties, responsibilities, and guidelines?

Not specific instances of who said what to who.

Not topics unrelated to admin and moderator activities. 

The thought being that this would be the place for somebody new to go if they wanted to read up on how the board mechanics run. That's why Jeff pinned it to the top of the thread list for the forum.

It doesn't seem article worthy, but maybe that's the better format for such a longer term, cleaner, format. 

MrScott
MrScott's picture
I trimmed the forum list this

I trimmed the forum list this thread was pinned in down to just the "RoboCommunity Feedback" forum.

It's intended as a rather topic specific thread, stuck in the top of a forum section folks might see if they were looking to talk about the community operation. 

RobosapienV2-4mem8
OPPS, SORRY. I should have

OPPS, SORRY. I should have know better.

Robo BG
Robo BG's picture
Although would it really hurt

Although would it really hurt to have a short little sub-topic once or twice?