Elvis Video Skinless and to become the Elvinator Project

372 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whit+
Whit+'s picture
Man, that will be cool G.W.

Man, that will be cool G.W. (and a little scarey!)

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Thats wat I like about it

Thats wat I like about it because you never know whats going to happen with him when I first give him some of his brains while he will learn the rest from whom ever he talks too and of course multi personalities, Elvis and the Terminator, with the eye lit you will know what mode he is in. hehe

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture
Very nice Gw, That will be

Very nice Gw, That will be awesome, I hope you pull it of because that is brilliant. What software is it? Hal, Alice ect. or something different.

Evans Digregorio
Evans  Digregorio's picture
That's David Hanson. He

That's David Hanson. He invented a synthetic skin for android faces called Frubber( almost sounds like flubber). The skin stretches and folds naturally like real skin. Hanson created several heads that test the skin through emotional expressions via molded on fabric hooks on fishing wire connected to servo motors. As for the software, I have watched most of these videos and from what I can tell, its just text to speech. how I found out was in one of them, the robot says "Ummm, Ummm," for a question about sex, which is too natural for a robot to say, unless someone was typing from behind the camera. I believe that the videos are not focusing on if the robot is self aware, but to demonstrate the realistic expression of the Frubber faces through interaction with people. However, there might be an A.I. program that Hanson acquired later from a company when his team had constructed the Philip K. Dick interactive robot. But if you think that's bizarre, that's nothing compared to his earlier ones, which were heads of a woman and even that of Albert Einstein on Asimo-type bodies ( I wonder if Hanson built a Nixon with a Bender body?) . As for a commercial use for this, an Astro Boy like robot called Zenu will be released sometime soon.
GW, I think you could pull this kind of project off. You already gotten farther than most of us modifying and hacking the bust's tech, so you already left it open for other possible applications. I'm excited to see how this will turn out when your finished. I thought the vid really was a hacked Elvis bust, until I saw the facial expressions and Hanson. Still, it does inspire a Elvis hacking idea.

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture
Ah, that explains it, Thanks

Ah, that explains it, Thanks Evans Digregorio.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
ya sorry guys I forgot to

ya sorry guys I forgot to tell you it was a hanson video, I too have seen all of the videos and love the way he uses all servos for this. this indead would make it easeier to program and add diffrent changes for facial movements, but I wanted to see what I could do with the motors in the Elvis and with a few mods to the boards to how far I could take this project, It's too late to add more to it because I have already guled and made changes to the skin. Now my Alien that I will be working on is going to have all facial movements and arms and waist movements, not too sure about the legs but I have not given too much thought about that, I guess If I'm going that far down, Why not add the legs, hmmm. As for the intelligents, I may use Alice but then since I'm using a PC to interact with the Elvinator I may write my own nero-net software, not too sure about that yet. I just wanted to show you guys what I was going to do to the Elvinator and this video was the best one I found that could tell my story.

GWJax
GWJax's picture
OK for all those that are

OK for all those that are folling the Elvinator Project and waiting on Part 5, well I have good news on it. Part 5 has now been completed and s in the pool for submition. I got a PM from Commander Pete and he sated that the it will be in a few weeks before it's posted. So keep your eyes out for it as this one will bring your Elvis into the look of the Elvinator by making your own eye by building a mold and how I use the laytex an cotton method in creating new skin. I hope you enjoy this next part and I'll be working on part 6 very soon.
Thanks again for wait on me.
Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture
OK for all of you that were

OK for all of you that were waiting on part 5 it is now out. Sorry for the long delay but you have it now. I'm not sure when part 6 will be out so just hang tight and I'll try to get it done as fast as I can. Now here is the Article link:
http://www.robocommunity.com/article/13368/Transforming-WowWee-Elvis-to-...

Jax

gugus651
gugus651's picture
GWJax said:

GWJax said:

I found this on youtube and when I get done with the Elvinator this is the style that it will have. Always learning to communicate and answering your questions or just haveing a conversation. So know afer you watch this video you'll know where I going with this project. Enjoy

GWJax

this video is impressive

Mark Goodson
Mark Goodson's picture
OMG I am so happy to have

OMG I am so happy to have found this site, I recently bought three of these guys to attempt to hack for Halloween props and am thrilled to see other people already ahead of me with there hacks, this will same me a lot of trial and error. Keep up the good work, I am going to read this whole thread now and catch up where you guys are at.

By the way, if any of you are interested, these are starting to pop up all over eBay, and the ones I bought I stole for $99 each including shipping!

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Mark Goodson said:

Mark Goodson said:
OMG I am so happy to have found this site, I recently bought three of these guys to attempt to hack for Halloween props and am thrilled to see other people already ahead of me with there hacks, this will same me a lot of trial and error. Keep up the good work, I am going to read this whole thread now and catch up where you guys are at.
By the way, if any of you are interested, these are starting to pop up all over eBay, and the ones I bought I stole for $99 each including shipping!

Great I'm glad you found the site, don't forget to check out retroplayers hack and Elvvis's hack as well, I'm going a little slow on my Elvinator Project end but the other guys have some really good articles/hacks as well. Plus welcome to the community. Be sure to keep all of us what you come up with.

Jax

Mark Goodson
Mark Goodson's picture
I am still trying to learn

I am still trying to learn the navigation of this forum, can you tell me where I can find these threads?

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Mark Goodson said:

Mark Goodson said:
I am still trying to learn the navigation of this forum, can you tell me where I can find these threads?

Here are the threads and articles

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/13761/Elvis-Cartridge-has-been...

http://www.robocommunity.com/article/14221/How-To-Control-the-WowWee-Ali...

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Just had to post this photo

Just had to post this photo with the Terminator and the Elvinator morphing together.

Enjoy,

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture
OK well that did not work. It

OK well that did not work. It was a GIF file. Does anyone know how to post this type of photo to make it run?

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture
The Tranny Elvis Chatbot

The Tranny Elvis Chatbot (running ALICE based chatbot):

GWJax
GWJax's picture
LOL Nice.... Jax

LOL Nice....

Jax

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

defwheezer said: The Tranny Elvis Chatbot (running ALICE based chatbot):

This tranny looks like Elvinator's sister. Refer to The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert for the wig and makeup:

GWJax
GWJax's picture
Now that's just scary.. LMAO

Now that's just scary.. LMAO
I can't believe ya'll putting down the Elvinator like that. hehehe

Jax

defwheezer
defwheezer's picture
This tranny looks like

This tranny looks like Elvinator's sister. Refer to The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

-- Scary, but funny as hell!!

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture
defwheezer said: Scary, but

defwheezer said: Scary, but funny as hell!!

I almost fell off my seat when I saw your tranny!

BTW this movie is an absolute blast. If you can sit through it without gasping for air from laughing so much, then you shouldn't have watched it in the first place. Of course it's about trannies living it up in Australia --just don't look down under!

Pages