RoboQuad Booties

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture
RoboQuad Booties

I know there is a thread for this but I can't find it. Someone suggested putting Booties or shoes on the Quad and using a rubber glove for traction. Just tried it and it works great! Don't know how long before I need to replace them but I think I will continue to use them or make a rubber foot pad for him. He walks alot straiter and turns are great. I used one glove made of nitrile rubber glove the blue kind. I like it! So try it and let me know how it works for you. Oops my battery monitor is getting dim He is getting ready for new battries. OK I know this is off the topic but I'm glad I have that indicator to prepair for a recharge of ni-mh batteries. I'm still working on keeping the memory in tact while I replace the battries. But I ran in a snag with the 24 hr erase mode. Maby I'll put a timmer in him at 20hr and send a wakeup then after that send a sleep siginal. we'll see. I love the QuadLaughing Talk to ya soon GWJax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Well The Rubber gloves don't last very long so it's time to make my own mold and reproduce them into silicone. I'll post an article for how to do it. I'll have it ready by this Sat. and then wait for Jeff to approve it. GWJax

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I think this is the thread you are thinking of.

Search Roboquad and glove and it pops right up. 

Robojack17
Robojack17's picture

i want a roboquad but wat wireless camera should i get fot it and wat mic should i get for it?

someone please help?

Lepy
Lepy's picture

someone said my idea was better :)

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Another thing to try would be the latex or nitrile finger cots.

If you want something a little more industrial strength, just dip the foot tips in Plasti Dip. That's the goop you can buy at a hardware store for coating tool handles with vinyl. 

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

How about some suction cups and a vacuum pump? Then RQ could scale walls and stuff! Ooooh... Spider quad, Spider quad. Does whatever a spider-quad does.

Okay, serious now. Plasti Dip sounds like a great idea. I may try that on robopet a bit too, see if I can up his traction a wee bit. Plus it comes in various colors so one could closer match their paint scheme. Perhaps the same with V1's fingertips, he seems to be a bit of a butterfingers sometimes.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Rudolph said: How about some suction cups and a vacuum pump? Then RQ could scale walls and stuff! Ooooh... Spider quad, Spider quad. Does whatever a spider-quad does. Okay, serious now. Plasti Dip sounds like a great idea. I may try that on robopet a bit too, see if I can up his traction a wee bit. Plus it comes in various colors so one could closer match their paint scheme. Perhaps the same with V1's fingertips, he seems to be a bit of a butterfingers sometimes.

Really Thats a cool Idea Rudolph, but since the quads legs turn 360' you would have to put a pump in each leg.

I had an Idea today and i'm working on it now, having the feet lightup with a clear foot and tip it off with silicone and put a pressure sensor on the feet so when you pick up the roboquad his legs will stop moving. and his feet will only light up when the leg is moving. Man there is so much this quad can do I love it!Laughing GWJax

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

I forgot about the 360 degree legs. I don't have one (yet) to remember it's details well.

How does it know it's leg positions? Is there just an encoder on each leg motor? I gots to get me one...

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Something as simple as a dollup of hot glue at each leg tip would probably be better for traction than hard plastic.

That's assuming the standard leg tips _are_ hard plastic. I don't know, as I've never inspected one close up. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

the tips are hard that's why I'm putting it in silicone. as for the motor movement. if you watch when it turns on it does a initialization check and looks for a switch to connect once it finds the switch it knows where the legs are and sends pulses out to move them. everytime it hits the switch it will recalibrate it's self to stay on track. the other motors uses a variable resistor to home in on the center and uses these ref points to calculate where it should be. I hope that answers your questions.

A little bit of hot glue will do the trick but what's the fun in that. I mean no making molds and pouring them into whatever your heart desires. thats what I like. In looking inside the leg there really is no room for any electronics. So I guess I'll have to cut out the inside and suport it with some heavy gauge wire so I can put a touch switch in it and LEDs.

skylear
skylear's picture

Hi my name is Skylear. What is your name?

skylear
skylear's picture

Hi my name is Skylear. What is your name?