OUR NETWORK: TechLore Explore3DTV MyOpenRouter MediaSmart home TiVoCommunity See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 440694.0
January 11, 2008 10:42 AM

Categories: Other WowWee Robots

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

fernicus

I got the Elvis for christmas here in Toronto and now it seems as if the bloody things gears are sooo loud!  They don't allow much of the music or dialogue to be heard over them and probably have woken Elvis up and half of Mississippi also.  Any ideas what i can do?  Love the thing but don't want to just junk it.  Any thoughts?

Also, are there any tricks, mods, etc. for it?

thanks all!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-15 of 25 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

January 11, 2008 10:49 AM

Sorry. There's no hope. You should send it straight to me for proper disposal.   Laughing

That would be a joke, I say, a joke, folks. 

On a potentially more helpful note, has the gear noise changed since you got it, or has it always been as loud as it is now?

If it's getting louder, that indicates some sort of wear or slippage issue that's making the mechanism noisier. 

Looking at it from the other side of the signal versus noise problem, has the voice and music changed volume since you got it?  If the desireable sound has gotten quieter, then the undesired sound will seem louder by comparison.

I've never actually seen one of these in person, and so can't comment on what the expected level or whirring is. We do have a couple of active community members who have seen Elvis. They may have more specific advice to offer.

ScottE -- collecting and building robots for 40 years - details in profile

January 11, 2008 10:55 AM

hi S,

it seems that it wasn't this loud before as I remember so I was wondering if I could operate on it and it may be a lube problem perhaps?  It's the gear mechanisms getting louder is the issue it seems.  Maybe WD40 perhaps?  Anyone know how to take it apart without too much damage?  Any else operate on Elvis or have some advice?  I'm getting there!  loool

January 11, 2008 10:56 AM

Just a thought but, is it posable that it just needs oiled or something like that.  If the gears are tite and there is a lot of friction the motors would need to work harder and as a result would be louder, wouldn't they?  Im just guessing so I mite be completely wrong.  Unless someone else here thinks this is  a good possability.

January 11, 2008 11:17 AM

I think i would have to take it apart to oil the gears to be honest but I'm afraid i might screw it up.  If there was another possibility then great but can't see one. 

January 11, 2008 11:32 AM

Every WowWee mechanism I've peeked inside of had plastic or nylon gears.

If you do decide to lube, pick something that is compatible with plastic. Some petroleum products would damage the plastic.

For what it's worth, WD-40, is a water displacement product, not a lubricant.

Yes, when you spray something with WD-40, the squeaks can be reduced. That's partly because of the liquid nature of the spray providing some lubrication, and partly do to that liquid acting as a solvent to wash out any accumulated water or debris. The lubricating effects are usually short lived. 

I usually hit something with WD-40 to clean it up, then lubricate with something else for a longer term fix.  I would question the use of WD-40 on the plastic gearing until I knew the plastic wouldn't react with the WD-40 solvents.

January 11, 2008 11:54 AM

so Scott,

seems as if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

couple of questions I have -

1)  is it easy to take the Elvis unit apart to try and lube?  Would it damage it or set things off?

2)  what would you recommend in lubeing the gears?  Product name?

thanks again.

January 11, 2008 12:36 PM

fernicus,

I'd recommend you contact GWJax as I believe he is experimenting with Elvis at the moment and planning to remove most if not all of the electronic components. He might have an understanding of how best to get inside your Elvis and some insight into what you should expect to see in there.

Mark 

markcra.com

January 11, 2008 2:18 PM

hi Mark,

I tried to contact him but couldnt send a msg for some reason - system problem maybe?  So I guess no one else knhows how to take him apart to deal with gears maybe?

:)

January 11, 2008 2:37 PM

This website community is not a chat system, it's a forum thread system. It is not "real time" communication, it's a bulletin board. You post your message, and wait, perhaps for days, for the person you are looking for to check the content or their mail.

Any given member might not be online at any given time. That's especially true when you consider that we are an international community. 

You can use PrivateMail if a community member has that feature enabled in their profile. That will result in a "ping" message to the user's personal e-mail, telling them that a message is waiting on the RoboCommunity mail system. 

January 11, 2008 2:41 PM

no offense meant - when it was stated I should try and contact him, that's what I tried to do.  Hey, thanks anyway.

January 11, 2008 2:47 PM

Not many members own an elvis for a variety of reason (In my case, I have yet to find one in a store), and those that do may not be entirely willing to take him apart.

RoboGuide - Your guide to hacking all things WowWee

January 11, 2008 2:56 PM

It's not a question of offense. It's a matter of needing to wait for a reply. If you sent him a PrivateMail, it might take him a while to get around to answering.

Only a fraction of the 1300+ registered robocommunity users are online on any given day.

While you're waiting, here's GWJax's thread showing how he's tearing down an Elvis for rework.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/12447/The-NEW-Elvis-skin/ 

January 11, 2008 3:13 PM

Fernicus,

OK, the noise you hear is all the gears moving, the only way out is to turn up the volume on your remote. The control is at the top and has a slide bar that will move to the right "louder" and left "quieter" as of taking it apart you must remove the wig and remove part of the skin, mostly where the ears are. if you do remove the wig make sure you do not cut the wig off the skin else you'll have to sew it back on. the Gears are well greased and are as quiet as they are going to be. so just turn up the volume.

PS I will be gone for the weekend my sister is having a leg operation in Atlanta,Ga and I want to be there for her. But I will return. GWJax

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

January 11, 2008 3:21 PM

the remote so you mean the buttons at the top of the microphone?  Is that correct?  I think I maxed out the volume and it doesn't go any higher.  Am I correct there?

Maybe I should turn up the stereo from now on. ;)

lol

January 11, 2008 3:30 PM

no it is not a button. Look for a little bar and slide it to the right the leds Blue and Red will blink on and off and his voice will get louder muffling the sound of the gears. It's really load so you can plug in your mp3 player or ipod and rock out with it. It almost like the bose system. Let me get a Pic for you.

GWJax, To Hack and make mods on robots is a life style and comes natural and not by choice. If a robot has a screw to open it then it must be opened!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-15 of 25 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window