My Roboquad is now a Safetyquad!!!

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken68
Ken68's picture
My Roboquad is now a Safetyquad!!!

I just finished integrating a smoke detector into the head of my Roboquad. It is now a entertainment/security/safety robot. I will post pictures later.

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

Just hope that the robot doesn't start to smoke!:) A walking fireball that alerts people that it is coming! Can't imagine running away from a smoke detector only to find out that it is running after u!:)

RobosapienV2-4mem8
RobosapienV2-4mem8's picture

Nice one Ken68, Pics will be nice. What does he do? back up, sound an alert, or go forward?

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Well it is a easy hack. All I did was gutted the smoke detector down to it's bare mainboard. I then removed the test switch and the low battery LED to make the smoke detectors mainboard as flat as possible except for the sensor. I then cut a hole in my Roboquad's top head shell for the smoke detector's sensor to stick out of on his head when I am finished the hack. I then trimmed the smoke detectors mainboard to fit in my Roboquads head. Then ran a pair of wires from the smoke detectors battery power connection on it's mainboard through Roboquads neck, then through his lower body and out through a screw hole on his lower back to a velcroed 9 volt Alkaline battery on his upper rear torso. The reason for the 9 volt battery is that Roboquads 6 volt power supply is not enough to run the smoke detector.

As far as alarms go. When the smoke detector detects smoke it sets off it's own piezo alarm in Roboquads head which then the loud alarm sets Roboquad off dancing around because of the loud noise his microphone is picking up.

Like I said a very simple but effective hack. My motto is the K.I.S.S. phrase (Keep.It.Simple.Stupid) for my hacks if possible.

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Here are some pics of my Roboquad with the smoke detector mod.

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Ken68
Ken68's picture

RobosapienV2-4mem8

Cool Ken68.

Currahee
Currahee's picture

thats neat

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Thanks, so I will summerize quickly all the current mods. Changed the headlight LEDs from green to white, changed the 2 lower eye LEDs from red to Ultra Violet. Added a green mouth LED connected to the speaker. Changed all the lower body animated LEDs from red to white. Added a internal smoke detector. And added 6 volt 1 AH Ni-Cad battery pack to replace the 4 "C" Alkaline batteries. And added 1 9-volt Alkaline battery to run the smoke detector.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

For some reason it reminds me of the other astromech droid in star wars. You know, the one lukes dad bought before R2D2?

Ken68
Ken68's picture

You mean the red one that had a faulty motovator? I think that was a R3D2 unit if I remember my Star Wars information correctly.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Nicely done. I like it when these little bots get real work to do.

The side discussion on Star Wars leads me to this old gem 

Luke (in his typical whiny kid voice):

Uncle Owen, this R2 unit has a bad motivator.

http://www.gotwavs.com/php/sounds/?id...

Ken68
Ken68's picture

I have an old Bluetooth Headset I am thinking of integrating into my Roboquad's microphone and speaker system. That way I can pair it with my cell phone to use it as a hands free external Bluetooth speaker microphone setup. What do you think of this?

Currahee
Currahee's picture

like that

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Have to go out to get some crickets for my Green Anole pet lizard. And some water conditioner for my pet fish. Will see about this next mod later tonight.

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

I like that blue tooth idea.

Ken68
Ken68's picture

The Bluetooth mod may or may not be possible. I cannot figure out how to integrate the switch/volume control into my Roboquads design. The switch has 7 connections from the switch to the Bluetooth's mainboard. Plus I cannot find room in my Roboquad's lower body. There is no more room in my Roboquad's head because the smoke detector has taken up all the remaining room in his head.

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

Could you mount it on the top of roboquads body instead?  Then all you need to do is tape or glue it on.  And if it doesn't work out or you don't like it the only thing left when removed will be a couple of holes where the wires went through. 

Michelle C
Michelle C's picture

Great mod, Ken68! Just be wary of the radioactive material in the smoke detector -- you might want to be careful with that stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Well that is why I left the metal shield installed over the detector module thus reducing the exposure. But I imagine during the design and approval process for general public use the radioactivity level has to be so low that exposure damage would be caused in extremely long time exposure such as year to the uncovered radioactive U236 pellet that is used. So I was not too concerned about it. But the metal shield is more than enough to block any of the radioactivity that is produced. Remember these smoke detectors are sold to anybody including children. I have researched a little in how smoke detectors work and the amount of radioactivity being emitted by the pellet is less then your cell phone or your CRT TV emits from the same distance. It uses the radioactivity to combine with the smoke particles thus raising their energy level, that can be measured. And that raise in the energy level in the small area around the pellet is what sets of the alarm. In a simplified explaination. 

markcra
markcra's picture

I hope ken doesn't mind but I'm going to link in his photos from robosapien.tk, this might be a bit of a necro-post but I'm sure having the photos with ken's description of the mods would be benifitial to the community.

Also found photos of his LED mods:

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/8329/dsc02756ty3.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/6973/dsc02755fo2.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/1576/dsc02752pf8.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2068/dsc02744cm1.jpg

[ source: robosapien.tk forum

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Did you happen to notice that the photos were already posted in this thread? I'm also pretty certain the LED mod ones were posted in another thread.

markcra
markcra's picture

You know what, they're showing here now but I'm definite they weren't here when I posted that. Very peculiar, my appologies.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

There is another thread about ken's smoke detector mod that doesn't include the photo's, you weren't looking at that one by mistake were you? its also possible imageshack had a temporary outage.

markcra
markcra's picture

Both plausable excuses, erm I mean reasons. ;-)

Kevin Fairchild
Kevin Fairchild's picture

Dunno how practical the smoke detector is... for the smoke to be that low to the ground, it would have to already be a pretty bad fire. lol

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Not if you equipped your RoboQuad with vacuum powered suction disks for it to walk on the ceiling.

RobosapienV2-4mem8

M'mmm, Sublime to the ridiculous, Sorry.

Pages